my thoughts on mandatory e logs

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by uplander, Jun 6, 2015.

1. RedWolf23

RedWolf23 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Since I'm paid by the hour and not by a load percentage or by the mile, my logs are accurate. If I don't have the hours I'll park.

Work smart and not hard. You don't necessarily need to run 3,800 plus miles a week to make a decent check in this industry.

brsims Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rick Brown

Rick Brown Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Monroe NC
    You are right, it will not leave a paper trail, but there will be an electronic trail. Any changes, or adjustments made are logged, and can be accessed. I am sure the Federal Government knows this too.

4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    If you try to edit your logs on Qualcomm the officer can see it being edited. I got $600 fine to prove that. But I'm not sure if he saw the before and after, or just been noticed that it was edit

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Editing a log is legal. I would have fought it. Now depends on what is edited. Driving can't, but on duty, off duty, sleeper can.

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It is legal but if they do see a lot of E's (Edits) next to your changes of duty statuses they begin to see a pattern of possible log falsification and will dig deeper or otherwise just write a ticket.

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Edit large lapses, like a switch to off duty from on duty that didn't get done. I like paper because I can control it, and I understand the rules better than the compliance guy, which mine will freely admit, but errors must be correctable, either on paper or on the machine.

There is a paper trail, even with e-logs, as the supporting document waiver seems to have gone away and that is biting some, especially in WI that I know of and possibly others. We turn it in, and don't use scanning or other venues, so I advise keeping the paper retained to the absolute minimum, unless you like messing with them( and I do, but I don't admit to it).

8. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I edit mine all the time. I usually go back and add sleeper berth time in my off duty time because I never remember to switch it back and forth.

Straight Stacks and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Seems like if it meant something to you, you would have been logging legal from the start....

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Sorry I was at a large petro truck stop parked in the back doing 10 hour break when I was woken up by the truck stop people so they could repaint the lines where I was parked. I moved to the other side of the lot and now I have to begin my 10 hours all over again. I guess I should have trip planned better ...

11. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

You made a choice to get out of the sleeper

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.