My time at CR England's CDL School & 9 month experience / review

Discussion in 'CR England' started by TexasBoy, Jun 3, 2015.

1. TexasBoy

TexasBoy Light Load Member

May 27, 2015
    Thomas The Trucker
    Good question but I still feel inexperienced honestly. I'm good on shifting, downshifting, turning and highway driving. It didn't take me long to learn. Practice makes perfect out here but there's still a lot I could learn while OTR. But as for a new guy it's honestly not hard.. if you've drove standard cars before. If not it might be difficult. You'll need good judgment too cause people out here could be just looking for you to do something crazy in front of them.

The feeling is good though but like I said, there's still a lot more to learn.

Mark Pearson Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I know you were asking texas, but in all fairness even I (9 months in) don't always feel like "i've got this."

There's not really a feeling as you get things, it's more the knowledge that you know what you're doing and when to do it?

Everyone is different as to how quickly they get everything.

Mark Pearson and TexasBoy Thank this.
  4. Mark Pearson

Mark Pearson Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2015
    San Diego

5. Mark Pearson

Jul 17, 2015
    San Diego
    Hi TexasBoy: I'm 57 years old, in good shape, don't smoke or drink, & I just retired from being a high school teacher 17 years. I really like to drive--always have. I drive my motorhome for hours and it doesn't bother me - I like looking at the road ahead and the scenery around me. I think my next career, now, should be truck driving. My kid is grown and my wife doesn't mind. One concern is about how hard it is to sit in a truck seat? My motorhome seat gets to hurting only after a few hours. I never get tired of driving, but if my butt gets to hurting it wears me down as I squirm. Here's some questions I really like to get answers to:

1) How is it sitting in a truck for so many hours?
    2) Will I have a problem being 57, starting in the business?
    3) I like being on my own, so having to drive with someone else for 6 months worries me--can I avoid that?

Thanks much for your response to my post.

6. Mark Pearson

Jul 17, 2015
    San Diego

7. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    He is under contract to pay for his training,,6 months won't do it.

8. Mark Pearson

Jul 17, 2015
    San Diego
    Hi Vilhiem: Thanks for the wisdom. I feel better already from yours and TexasBoy's input. I live in San Diego, CA, and if I go for the CR England school/training, I'd want to do the training in Fontana, CA. I'd like to drive my Motorhome up there and use that to sleep in. I have a 35' Fleetwood Bounder. I'm hoping they'd let me stay in my RV at night in their parking lot?

There's so many concerns typed about the CRE school, but I do like not having to spend money up front to go into training, and TexasBoy's description helped a lot to reduce my worry that it'd be bad, it seems to me, in some sense, that training "by fire" in a tough way, kinda like going back to Boot Camp, like when I joined the Navy in 1977, but maybe dealing with it, and applying myself intensely, and keeping my eye on the career at the end of it, might make me better than if I took the cushy way and just paid $4000 out of pocket for a local school with one-on-one training, and hoping to get placed at the end? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a mil. :)

TexasBoy Thanks this.
  9. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    might try watching j cannel on you tube he's starting a new series on trucking school. Also do more research on company schools. CRE is NOT the best company out there. Millis is a good choice you can see steven neil on you tube about millis. don't worry about your age Im 54 and hopefully be OTR soon. there is a thread on here about that age thing Ikk see if I can get the link for you.

TexasBoy and Mark Pearson Thank this.
  10. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    sorry couldn't find that thread. but many have started at 50 and older. just make sure your in good health. BP is under 140. its all in your state cdl manual. Good luck Mark !

11. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/age-descrimination.275741/

This the one you're looking for?

I'd look at other schools if I were you. Especially if you can afford the overall cost.

Owing your employer is not usually a good thing, so I always advise against it unless I happen to know that place is good. Lots of horror stories about CRE, but that's why I'm following Texas here.

I would like to think that companies are finally getting the hint that screwing your drivers over costs more than it saves. Just blindly trusting is what got a good many folks into a bind in the first place though...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.