My time with Hirschbach

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by SteeringWheelHolder411, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    You can now add Hirschbach to a long line of trucking companies that have fired me. However, I still recommend them. I made good money with them. You do have to make sure that they pay you correctly and you have to get them to put things in writing. If you get called to do a relay you can negotiate a price. Like a $150 bonus for doing the run. I averaged $1894 a week with them as take home pay. Remembering that you have to pay taxes out of that money is a pain but the Donald will help.

Now I am sure you want to know why I was fired. I got my truck turned up to 68 at an International dealership. That was a no no. I also let my truck run downhill as long as it stays with in the legal limits. Those two things were frowned on. Then I broke a cab extender off jack knifing into a dock. I got called in and fire by someone who did not have the guts to do it to my face.

Anyway, I highly recommend the company but as I am tired of being fired I am buying my own truck now.

ExOTR and RoadDogTruckingClone! Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteeringWheelHolder411

SteeringWheelHolder411 Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Chicago
    I underst
    I understand your frustration. This 64 mph #### sucks- but it has it's upsides...And as for letting the truck roll, I do that too. I will do that until they fire me for it because at 64 mph we are a rolling hazard on hills- by rolling faster WITHIN LEGAL LIMITS , we are preventing an accident. Oh well

RoadDogTruckingClone! Thanks this.
  4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    What does that bring the number of companies you have been fired by to? What was the purpose of getting it bumped up to 68? Why not just get it bumped all the way up if you were going to mess with it? Smh

RoadDogTruckingClone! and alghazi Thank this.
  5. Hair & Tie Trucker Guy

Hair & Tie Trucker Guy Bobtail Member

May 12, 2016
    Frederick Oklahoma
    So the lease plan is doable? Not a scam?

6. Wooly Rhino

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Sorry for the lateness in my reply. Running around crazy getting the new truck. It is a 2017 Volvo 780. I take delivery in June.

Hirschbach's lease is not a scam. What it is is a lease with option to buy. I started out with truck 24077. They number the trucks like this. 2 is owner operators or leased trucks. The first number is a 3 for company drivers. The second number is the year of the truck. So my truck was the 77th of the 2014 trucks. It was an International with the Maxx Force engine. I paid $615 a week for the truck. My contract called for 85 payments and then a $48000 payment to buy the truck. I did not see that as something I would be doing. So I did not go into it looking to end up with a truck.

The people who run the company are business people. I mean that in a good way. They pay you what it takes to keep you. A fair wage but not a dime more. It is up to you to make sure you are making as much as possible.

By example. Everyone knows that the price per gallon of fuel is not the price that companies actually pay. They have discounts. Hirschbach says that you pay 99 cents per gallon if you fuel at Pilot, Flying Jay, or Love's. I did not understand until after my first few checks that you have to fuel at specific Pilot's, Flying Jay/s and Love's, If you don't follow the plan they add 25 cents per gallon to your price. I am guessing that is because of the discount they get. They are not trying to screw you but they are not going to let your mistake effect their bottom line either.

If you choose not to take the 99 cent program (and by not taking it you can have your truck turned up to a higher speed) they do not give you the entire fuel surcharge back. Their trucks get about 8.3 MPG. So they make money if you get that but if you go fast that ends up cutting into their cost. They guard against that.

I ran hard but that is something I like. I put myself in the sleeper as soon as I hit the docks and saved my 70 hour clock. I never turned down a load and I was never late. I loved my dispatchers, they left me alone and always had a preplan before I needed it. No wasting time waiting on what to do next. In the first four months of this year I grossed $49,301.05. After all deductions but before taxes I brought home $19,983.68. That works out to just under $60,000. ####. I worked harder then that.

RoadDogTruckingClone! Thanks this.
  7. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    So with the new truck are you leasing on to a company or running complete independent?

8. Wooly Rhino

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Going to Land Star. But I am so tempted to get my own authority now. Land Star will let me get my feet wet first. I had ordered 10 trucks awhile back but lacked the gonads to pull the trigger.

9. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    Wow...Fire away... You said you been fired by many, baby steps buddy. I'm surprised they took you on.

Wish you well... Are you going flat or Van?

Going with landstar @blairandgretchen can give you some advice I'm sure...

10. Wooly Rhino

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I am buying a reefer.

11. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    How many folks that run with them have you consulted with?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.