My training at Roehl

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by ptw632, Jun 27, 2015.

1. ptw632

ptw632 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2014
    First thing I want to tell you about Roehl is your going to have to sign a contract to drive 75000 miles with them before you can leave. EVEN if you already have your CDL. Know this before they get you to one of their terminals or you have to find your own way home if you don't sign it. "THEY" put a price tag on their "value" of training at $3100. If you already went to a good cdl school , Roehl is RE_teaching this stuff to you for $3100 if you quit after signing the contract. They will stick you with trainers who are not above lying to cover their own #####. They will stick you with trainers who DESPERATELY need a shower, you will smell HIM / HER FOR 8+ days.

You may tell your fleet training manager you feel you need more practice backing up, well good luck getting it. They are going to stick you with somebody whose #1 priority is to make THEIR runs NOT teaching you to be a safe driver. Keep that in mind when your trainer is making all the mileage off of your driving and YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE TRUCK GO FORWARD.You want to do close quarters backing, it's your cdl to lose if you keep backing into people and things.

Finally, when you tell your FTM that you need more practice backing they will set you up for 8 more days on the freeway where you can think about what you've done. Do NOT listen to these Roehl lovers, Roehl is NOT an ideal company for new drivers.

Royburker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ptw632

ptw632 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I should also mention that it would be in your best interest to lug around a cpl hundred dollars worth of canned goods because you won't get to a grocery store in training and truck stop prices are outrageous

4. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    You keep saying they will do this to you and that to you, but what you really mean is " this is what happened to ME personally." There are enough stories on here of successful Roehl drivers from their training program to make me think this doesn't happen to "everybody"

5. ptw632

ptw632 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I think that was implied

6. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    It sounds like you had a crappy trainer for starters, did you ask for another trainer? When i first started driving i had to get a different trainer after a couple weeks. So are still with Roehl?

7. ptw632

ptw632 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2014

I'm on my second trainer and he, the FTM and I can't seem to get on the same page about my training. I don't think they want me to just practice backing in a yard and I've already been away from home 4 weeks now and have no desire to spend another 8 days in someone else's truck.

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  8. TB John

Dec 28, 2008
    I've never driver for Roehl and all I know about their training is what I've read here and on their web site. That being said as far as I know all companies will tell you at some point the training period is over, "It's time to do it on your own". Perhaps they have more confidence in your abilities than you do. I know you have no desire to spend another 8 days in a truck with a stranger but look at it this way. Your learning a skill that you can build on and make a living for the rest of your life. Realize the first couple of time you're out on your own and need to back in somewhere you'll probably still have giant butterflies in your stomach no matter how much you've practiced with someone next to you.

9. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    im also thinking they have more confidence in you than you have in yourself. knuckle up, put on your big boy panties and start driving truck.

just remember, the overwhelming majority of preventables happen in a lot. take it slow, get out and look as many times as you wish and bump that dock. youre never going to get anywhere if you keep thinking you cant. if you get crazy before you get in the hole stop, straighten your steers out, pull forward a couple feet and try it again. no biggie.

also, once you pass their tests and get your own truck ask your DM if you can take a few hours in the lot to practice before you get dispatched. some will some wont.

10. TB John

Dec 28, 2008
    Remember when you're on your own, it'll be YOUR cloths in the closet. YOUR tunes coming from the speakers. YOUR cleanliness standards for the vehicle. Your choice of stopping places. etc.:yes2557:

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  11. TB John

Dec 28, 2008
    If I understand their "mileage contract" if you drive the 75000 you owe them nothing. The $3100 or a portion of it is owed if you leave VOLUNTARILY before your 75000 mile "obligation" is complete. If you're dismissed or unable to remain employable you owe them nothing. Theoretically you should be able to knock out the millage requirement in 8 to 9 months fulltime OTR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.