My Training instructor wants me to ask five drivers..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RayH, Feb 10, 2016.

1. RayH

RayH Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Olathe, KS
    two questions for class.
    1) Do you know the rules that govern you as a driver?

2) Can you as a driver know all the rules that govern you as a driver?

He has told us that there is a point to this line of questioning and we he reveal it next time we are in class.
    Since I have lurked on these forums for years I thought it might be easier to ask here than drive over to the nearest truck stop and start asking. :)
    Thanks in advance for any replies, this site has been a godsend for me in finally deciding to get my CDL.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Reason for edit: Bad engrish
    DriveStyer, tucker and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G Paul

G Paul Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Quick answers are: NO and NO.
    However I'd like to expand a bit. If you work conscienciously at it you can know enough to stay outta trouble and keep an acceptable record. Keep your eyes and ears open. Find good sources of info. Learn to know BS when you hear it. You can learn lots from other drivers but it isn't a good way to learn the rules. It can sometimes be a way to learn how to deal with the rules. However each of us as drivers have our own version of the rules and what they mean.
    I'm a Canadian who has handled oversized loads in both countries since 1975. Each province and state has a different set of oversize rules. I tell drivers all the time "read your permit, don't ask me" cause they'll only learn my version of what to do.
    I say the same to you. "Use official versions of the rules" no matter what you're doing. Other drivers can be very helpful but none of us can keep all the rules in our head. I love to help other drivers and give and get other drivers ideas but ya gotta be careful. What comes outta the CB ain't from the DOT!!!!!!

scythe08, tucker, RayH and 2 others Thank this.
  4. BoazTrucker

BoazTrucker Light Load Member

May 3, 2013
    Northeast Alabama
    I agree, no and no, and ill add, the "rules" are always changing FMCSA publish the green book every year but as soon as they are printed they are out of date, every month there are rule proposals and changes, that wont be put in till next year, so its impossible to know them all...especially on that ASPEN DOT inspection that states "violation of state/local laws"

RayH Thanks this.
  5. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    1. Yes, I know the common rules. Such as the HOS rules, highway laws, freight loading + securement + unloading, hazmat rules, route planning, tractor and trailer maintenance and other satefy things ..etc..

2. Not really. But that's why we carry the FMCSA book a long with telephone numbers of state agencies and/or Google for searching up more info.

RayH Thanks this.
  6. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    The motor carrier officers don't even know them all and enforcement is their job. It would be impossible for a driver to know them ALL.

RayH Thanks this.
  7. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Yes

No, because some DOT officers make up their own rules.

americanmadetrucker and RayH Thank this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Yup, first time you say "i did it legaly" and you hear "officers discretion, heres your ticket" :)

scythe08 and RayH Thank this.
  9. RayH

RayH Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks for the replies, the FMCSA hand book was given to the class yesterday along with a full size drivers daily logbook, a students handbook, Delmar's truck driver training text book 4th edition and a big old 2016 Rand Mcnally motor carrier road atlas. At least I'm getting something right from the start for my 4300.00. ;)

The FMCSA reads just like I thought a regulation and rule book would.. confusing and mind numbing right from the start.

10. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Yup just like trucking....wait until you deal with a dispatcher !!! :-0

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
    Reason for edit: Removed broken quote
    12 ga Thanks this.
  11. BoazTrucker

BoazTrucker Light Load Member

May 3, 2013
    Northeast Alabama
    yes because my students dont get crap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.