My wife wants to be a freight agent

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by asav24, May 16, 2016.

1. asav24

asav24 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    South Jersey
    Hi guys my wife wants to be a freight agent but I have been reading n I hear online courses aren't worth it..do u guys no of any companies that will train n hire her around new jersey area...thank u in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    What do you want to do? Your wife may want you to become a freight agent, but you need to do what you want rather than someone else, even if that person is your spouse. I don't know their requirements, buy you might check with some of the major brokerage companies, such as CH Robinson. Some of the larger carriers also have freight brokerages inhouse. You can go to the fmcsa website and find brokers and carriers in your area. Or you could google to find them. It will be a matter of knocking on doors and making phone calls.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    It says nothing about his wife wanting him to be a freight agent. She wants to.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    OOPS!! You are correct. I went back and reread his post. I guess I got in too much of a hurry when I read the post.

6. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Headline
    Cass Freight Index Slumps 4.9%

May looks to be slower from my perspective as an LTL road driver.

7. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I can see it now, you're going to start booking freight through your wife's brokerage and she's going to skim extra money off the top without you knowing

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  8. asav24

asav24 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    South Jersey
    Yea my wife wants to I'm a driver

9. asav24

asav24 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    South Jersey
    Need to know what companies tht will train her and hire after her training

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Check with some of the larger carriers who broker some of their own freight. Mercer, Landstar and other major carriers broker a lot of their freight. Both have independent agents. You might check with an agent near you and see if they could train her. Does she have sales experience? Agents and/or brokers are basically salesmen. They sell their services to a shipper and then sell their loads to a carrier. If you have access to some of the loadboards, you can easily find phone numbers and names of brokers and agents in your area. Some of the big brokerages may have a training program. CH Robinson, Coyote are a couple to get you started. I have never seen any broker advertise any sort of training program. But, I know some brokerages hire inexperienced people right out of college, so some must have a training program.

11. asav24

asav24 Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    South Jersey
    Ok thank you...she has some experience in sales. I will check those places out. its hard to find or trust these online courses.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.