NC , enforcing no ramp parking laws

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Numb, Jun 20, 2015.

1. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    No that's not what I meant. The industry is expanding while many states are closing rest areas. Rest areas need to keep up with the demand. Nobody ever cares about the driver's...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    No they don't. Why would you expect government to help you?

truckon and OriginalBigfoot Thank this.
  4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

I wanna drive a truck, anybody know how I can learn for free? I'm also out of money, will they pay for a plane ticket? And do they have special seats for big people? (I weigh #500) also can i park on the side of the road when i play my video games? I dont like being around trucks.

77smartin and joseph1135 Thank this.
  5. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    As I've said before, all the ramps up and down I-77 are narrow anyway, I'd hate to even have to stop on one for a few minutes.

Saw a wreck years ago in Nevada, a car came fast into a rest area lost control and went under a semi parked on the exit ramp to the rest area.

6. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    They handout freebies to all that dont want to work on our dime and screw those who are out trying to make an honest living.

7. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I live in NC and this was on the news a few weeks ago. I don't know about the particulars of this certain ramp you were on, but they are now enforcing statewide parking bans on ON RAMPS , OFF RAMPS, and NON EMERGENCY SHOULDER STOPPAGE.

The reason stated on the news story that I viewed was safety concerns.. collisions, etc.

Believe it or not, the main focus tended to be on 4 wheelers making non emergency stops on the shoulder of the road.

You and I both know that the legislators couldn't care less about the lack of adequate parking available for commercial vehicles. They go home each night to the comfort of their homes and never give a second thought to whether 10,000 driveers in their state have somewhere to lay their head that night. Just don't park on my ramp!!

Now, the fact that a large portion of our brethren tend to throw their trash out along the roadside , creating a ditch full of biohazard ,sun baked pee bottle bacteria bombs just waiting to explode when a mower comes along doesn't help us at all ,does it ??

I don't know how they can enforce HOS laws so strictly when we have so few options as to where we can park. The troopers are just doing their job. They don't mean it personally. Their troop commanders give them assignments that come down from Raleigh and the State Legislature.

Something has to give, though. What SHOULD happen is simple parking areas built roadside like out west. But, this is expensive. Asphalt and grading cost a lot of money.

It's best to really plan well because soon there won't be warnings. There will be citations.

kimbosa Thanks this.
  8. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    PREACH !!!

kimbosa Thanks this.
  9. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    I remember a few years back Indiana went big on the no ramp parking the big enforcement lasted about six months now I see trucks parked on them all over the place again. Won't say no enforcement just not a whole lot.

10. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Part of the reason why I don't miss being OTR

11. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I run the west the majority of my time. I'm now down in Florida, and completely under protest at that, but I'm here and the parking "problem" in the southeast is actually worse than the northeast. Most of the Midwest is ok while the west is the best. Never an issue. But the amount of dropped trailers at truckstops down here, the places that did allow parking and now do not, and the way some people park have got things a complete cluster. There's no reason for some of it. I will tell you that the next load back west is mine. You guys got these truckstops on lockdown at 3 pm out here....

truckon and tsavory Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.