Nearly Involved In Head-On Collision

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by GOV'T_Trucker, Dec 11, 2015.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    She tried to pass in a no passing zone……I don't think the other driver is responsible for someone else's stupidity…..But if that was me in that situation(being the other truck) I probably would have slowed down)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    No the date is wrong, I can't fix it now it's too late. The problem with the date/time on this unit is I purchased a capacitor version instead of battery version (heat/sun+battery=explosion) so it doesn't keep time. I have to adjust it every so often and this time it just slipped my mind. I will have to adjust it again.. Sometimes if camera isn't used for a bit (in this case it was at mechanic shop) it will not keep correct date and time. From day to day it's ok but anything longer then that it drops the date/time.. But thanks for the heads up anyhow.

Technically she was in a passing zone when she first started to pass (she had the dotted lines), she was just closer to the end of her passing zone then it became my side was the passing zone. In any case she took WAY to long to pass the truck, she has over 10 seconds to pass which is more then enough time to pass.. Also technically (as per Ontario rules) you can pass even on a solid line (heck even a double solid line) if it's safe to do so these yellow lines are merely suggestions (much like ramp speeds they are yellow so they are suggestions, white ones are not). You can bet your butt if something happens and you pass on a single/double they will nail your butt you the wall...

I understand technically the truck isn't responsible but in the drivers manual (for Ontario at least) if you have room to move over and above a collision (head on, sideswipe etc..) you are obligated to do so. Also if it is safe to do so lets not forget that. In this case it would have been safe to do so as we both had a paved shoulder, not super wide but enough to move over a few feet each. Beside morally it's the right thing to do, even if someone is in the wrong you should do what you can do to save a life as long as it is safe for you to do so.

chico9696 and tinytim Thank this.
  4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Good job GOV'T_Trucker!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.