Neck/upper back pain when driving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DC843, Nov 24, 2015.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I have been with a trainer for about a week and every time I drive I get killer neck and upper back pain. I cant seem to find the right way to sit and hold the wheel that eliminate this. all I can do is some stretches before and while driving and massaging the muscles around it but that only helps for about 5-10 minutes

Its not excruciating pain but its very persistent so im wondering if anyone has any tips to make the driving a little more enjoyable without this crap. Could it be one of those things that will go away once I get used to the lifestyle and its just my body getting used to holding a steering wheel for 10 hours a day?

Also most of my sleeping has been with the trainer driving so my sleep hasn't been too great so that's probably a factor also.

any advice

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    The first thing is why is your trainer sleeping not training. Resting your neck and back properly can be the best way. Try rolling up a towel to brace your lower back and that will help your posture which may help the other issues. I do it because I broke my neck and I have sciatic nerve problems in my lower back and legs.

HorseShoe and DC843 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Once you're on your own you'll adjust to this new career of driving and it won't bother you. I think it's due to stress and not a long term problem.

5. truckbuddha

truckbuddha Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I am going to say it might also be due to an old worn out mattress in the truck your trying to sleep on. If your sleeping in the top bunk with only a thin 3 inch mattress that's been in the truck now for years and other trainees, its almost basically the same as sleeping on a flat sheet of metal, with no back or shoulder support at all.

And plus if your big or broad shouldered, and you sleep on your side at night. You got all that weight pressing down on that side of your body, which I know from my own experience, can cause shoulder pain.

just a suggestion,

DC843 Thanks this.
  6. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    youre very right about that. the mattress sucked so im sure that had something to do with it. and yeah I sleep on my side so I think I get what you're saying. Plus like I said at some points I was sleeping while the trainer drove and it didn't absorb any bumps whatsoever so all that bouncing was on my neck. just have to put up with it until I get my own truck then ill invest in a quality memory foam one.

7. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    No I was sleeping while he drove just to finish off the delivery, I haven't really adapted to the lifestyle yet so when I was already awake for 10 hours before the load was ready it was hard for me to put in the full 11 driving so he would finish it off.

8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    If you are not using them and the truck has arm rests, start using them. It will help. There could be a lot of different factors causing the problem. Stress, not accustomed to driving long periods and your mattress have all been mentioned and are good places to look.

But when I think about what you describe, it reminds me of when I first started riding a motorcycle. I didn't realize the bike was not properly set up for me. I was reaching for the handle bars and leaning forward too much. Combined with wearing a helmet that I wasn't accustomed to. It caused me the same type of discomfort you're describing. I finally got the bike adjusted properly and got used to holding my arms outward for extended periods and the discomfort went away.

Hope you find the issue and all ends well.

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    ok gotcha agree with advice above also. I also upgraded the jailhouse mattresses they put in trucks

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Sometimes adjusting the steering wheel position helps. Over the years, I have been in many many different trucks of all makes and models...each one took me a little time to adjust too and get everything just right. Then the shop would have to take it for something, and they futz it up.

And chinatown has a good point, as a trainee in a new career, you're more tense and stressed. Once you get done training and get out on your own, you will begin to relax as things become 2nd nature.

Until then, ibuprofen helps.

11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Unless money is the issue, why not get a memory foam mattress topper?. You can get them in various thickness's and they roll up easily enough so you can move it into your truck when you get it.

BillStep and TROOPER to TRUCKER Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.