Need a good clean, powerful radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Battle Born, Feb 12, 2015.

1. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    It's just a saying of his anyway...and the point he's making with that statement is that if you don't see the wave on a scope, and you're only going by a meter, you have no way to know it's not just garbage coming out of the radio. Squarewaves... harmonics... splatter... you know the drill.

Besides, watts don't really matter. You can have a 100 watt radio, but a crap antenna or a faulty antenna system...and barely get out across the median. Likewise, you can have a 4 watt radio with a good antenna that's properly set up, and talk all over the world when the conditions are right.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I got that but when you take a radio and play techniction without understanding the engineering that went into the radio, it doesn't really matter. In that case, you may se distortion but you won't see harmonics or in many cases splatter. For that to show you have to look at the spectrum and at this point too many yahoo radio techs can't figure out how one works let alone how to see problems from a badly tuned radio.

4. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I proved the point on harmonics and splatter. I did a by the numbers alignment straight from the service manual on my Galaxy DX-959. I set the driver and final bias to 50ma and 100ma. Tuned the rf strip per service manual. Set carrier to full 4 watts. I kept mod limiter intact and set AMC pot to 100% with a mod meter and 1000hz tone and then fine tuned it on the scope. Now it swings to about 23 watts, and everyone thinks it is a big base station with crystal clear audio and it can be heard more than 2 miles down the road LOL

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    You mean like this?

[​IMG]

He has many videos...that was just one of them. Most of them are on Facebook so I can't share them here.

Connex_runner and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Kelgar50 who did you buy your Stryker 955 from

7. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    Walcott Radio Communications

stacks Thanks this.
  8. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Good shop I've n
    Been in there a few times he has a good selection of radios you can even drive tractor trailer in for installation.

9. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    The store is great. The shop is hit or miss. If you get the head tech, he's good. Dunno about the rest of them.

My DX-939 bought from and peaked and tuned by them had the AMC jacked wide open. Orlando (the head tech) did not do the work on the radio.

stacks Thanks this.
  10. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Is that the small dude who wears a beanie hat

11. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    And where is mark Sherman based does he have a store

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.