Need advice on companies

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CajunGator52, Aug 24, 2016.

1. CajunGator52

CajunGator52 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    South Louisiana
    I recently finished up driving school and now I'm having to choose which company to start out with. Currently I have offers from Total, Western Express, PTL, Abilene, Decker and XPO. I would like a little feedback from the community on their thoughts. Thanks for any help you may offer.

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's good to get feed back but remember that only you can decide which is best for you. I would say look at the pay, benefits ( how much does the medical and dental cost? and does the medical have 80-20 or is it 70-30.), retirement, type of equipment, how good are the trucks maintained, do you have good dispatch or is it forced, there's more but these are the items you should be looking at. If you find they are all the same then you look at terminal nearest your home, is it easy to get time off, how are the drivers treated, and so on. Be sure to look close and just don't go in there blind.

TequilaSunrise and Concorde Thank this.
  4. CajunGator52

CajunGator52 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    South Louisiana
    Thanks for the reply. I have been researching all of the companies everyday for the past couple of weeks. I was just wanting a little feedback on others opinions on these companies as I can only research so much. Total is the closest to me of all the companies. Better pay may not be the best as it all comes down to miles driven.

5. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Go with the one that pays the best and has the closest terminal.

6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    XPO and Decker are refer outfits so you first have to decide what you want to haul, refers or dry vans. Between the 2 refer outfits I would choose Decker.

Out of the others I would choose Abilene.

I have pulled both refers and dry van and if you have any questions just ask.

7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Do you want to go OTR? If not, consider Old Dominion, UPS Freight, ABF, SAIA, Conway, YRC, etc. Look up LTL carriers in your area, often hiring and often hire out of school. Home every day,

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  8. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Old Dominion is a good company.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.