Need advice on LTL driving jobs like ABF, UPS, Fedex, and other local jobs.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Drake L., Jan 29, 2016.

1. Drake L.

Drake L. Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Im about to start C1 Truck Driver training in Arkansas. I'm approved for a workforce grant that's paying my full tuition fee, and was wondering what kind of local/regional companies are best for me. I don't want to spend years OTR so im focusing on LTL companies. I live right down the road from ABF in north little rock, Arkansas. I called ABF and they will be hiring in march, which is when I will be getting my CDL. Is ABF a good company to work for, also what is their pay/benefits. I was thinking about getting experience driving for ABF for a wile then apply to UPS for delivery driver or tractor trailer driver positions. Am i heading in the right direction? What do you guys think of my plan so far?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good plan, except UPS hires from within, meaning warehouse workers move up to the driving positions.
    ABF is Teamsters union so you will be on union pay scale with union benefits.
    Old Dominion is one of the best LTL outfits around and some terminals hire new cdl grads. Old Dominion sometimes sends recruiters to cdl schools in search of new drivers.

Drake L. Thanks this.
  4. Drake L.

Drake L. Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thank you for replying so quickly. The UPS in little rock hires PT and seasonal delivery drivers sometimes and hires seasonal tractor trailer drivers sometimes. Is that uncommon for UPS to hire like that.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They may hire like that during Christmas rush, etc. then lay you off until the next holiday season.
    ABF is rough too getting started. Usually have to work the docks first and sometimes be on call waiting for a phone call to come to work.
    Old Dominion would be steady good income year round.
    How about hauling milk, Western Dairy Transport hires new cdl grads.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can make about 60K driving for Tyson Foods.
    Try ABF and Old Dominion first is you really want LTL.
    Averitt Express may have LTL near you.

City Driver
    Averitt Express - North Little Rock, AR
    Drivers must have Class A CDL with Hazmat & Tanker endorsements (tanker required for portable totes). Recent graduates from CDL training school.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Central Freight Lines is also LTL.

Start submitting job applications during the first week of cdl school.
    Ignore any -experience required- on websites and apply anyway. Many companies are bending their own hiring rules these days due to a shortage of high quality applicants.

8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Have you work for a union before? Start off at the bottom and then move up. I use to work at a small warehouse with only 8 drivers. Turnover rate is low lol nobody wants to leave their spot. So we seen helpers come and go.

But if your goal is ltl and it happen to be union, just wait it out.

I would love to go back to that union job, but starting at the bottom again doesn't pay enough

9. Drake L.

Drake L. Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I haven't worked any union yet. I'm about to start C1 training soon. I guess I'm going for ABF. I need to worry about getting the experience first I suppose. Thank you guys Chinatown too. I read some ltl jobs pay $70000-$100000 after years with the company. Is this true?

10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    It appears your goal is to work for UPS. UPS has two separate divisions, UPS ground and UPS Freight. UPS gound is virtually impossible to get in. Package delivery van drivers get first choice as far as their feedr driver position. And they train them inhouse from beginning to end. Only when no delivery drivers apply for the position is when they hire off the street. Their seasonal driver position , you need 2 years experience to be qualified, and you have to pass a road test. Just because you worked seasonal doesn't you'll get a full time position if one opens up. You have to reapply for that position again if one is available.

As far as UPS Freight, you need 2 years experience as well. LTL work is not an easy job. It's very stressful, especially their P&D division. There's a lot of city driving involved and their will be some tight places that even experienced drivers will have problems backing into. Most local companies do not have any training as far as driving is concerned. You are required to have experience when applying. That's why local jobs will say "2 years experience required". Their are a few local jobs, such as Mclane foodservice, that has apprenticeship, and I think ABF has one as well. I personally don't think someone fresh out of school should do LTL work, because of some of the tight turns and various places you have to back into in some cities. Even though you may not want to hear this, I think going OTR is best when starting out. Learn how to shift gears first, how to pull a loaded trailer, how to drive in bad weather, log books or elogs, weigh stations, practice backing, making turns, how to route your run, and so on and so forth.

Learn the fundamentals and basics of trucking, and know how to drive a truck first, before you tackle local city driving.

11. Drake L.

Drake L. Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thank you for the info. I understand what your saying. I'm excited about starting school soon and im thinking way to far ahead of myself. ABF is offering training and i believe Avirett is also, but i won't shy away from OTR. My friend was driving for tyson and they paid him well but it effected his relationships pretty bad, mainly his girlfriend. Thats way i kinda fear OTR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.