Need advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Boattlebot, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Need some advise, I'vebeen fighting and fighting for dank near 2 weeks to get a rig that's worth a ####. I've been off my home time for almost 3 weeks and I've spent two of them in the shop. (not all at once) now I've got one more phone call left them I'm either getting a rig or a bus ticket home. I'd like to get into flatbed and just looked at tmcs website and and there not hiring out of my area (upstate ny before China town asks)

So any one got some company's I could look into?

I need a company that runs sticks tho. can't handle autos. and I'd prefere otr. also got 2 months experience ( I know that may hinder me a bit as far as offers go but I can't just keep loosing money hereplaying the trucksfixed no it ain't game

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know anything about this company, but you can check it out. They hire new cdl grds.
    Eastern Freightways in New York.
    Universal Truckload - hauls government loads and hires new cdl grads.
    Jones Bros. Trucking - Missoula, Montana-stick shift
    System Transport

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Boattlebot Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Looking for OTR, companies or recriters really like that.But two months exp all you'll probably get is driving for a starter company.I would look at their website and find the page where it decribes the equipment they have.You can Google flatbed companies in your area or ones that hire nationwide.

5. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    I would stay at swift longer but I'm going broke with all this sitting

Thanks for the list china town

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. lawsonott

lawsonott Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    i got my start with prime, all i had was a new CDL-A and no endorsements, fresh out of school.
    they had 3-4 day orientation, i chose to run flatbed (at that point i wasn't confident in my backing skills).
    they put me with another flatbed trainer, and i earned $600/week minimum. went solo early.
    i later got on with arrow (RIP) and was a trainer for a while before they went belly up.
    a decent outfit i also worked flatbed for, profleet in elkhart, indiana.

prime is 48 states, long haul (maybe has some regional)
    profleet mainly works the northern states east of the dakotas. sometimes a run to ATL/ FL

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Understandable but how do you know other companies won't do the same thing especially off?You should apply for regional or dedicated.

8. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    I dont. but I just enjoy otr to much. I like being somewhere different everyday. (when I'm not sitting atleast)

pattyj Thanks this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Prime is in Pittston PA, probably your best bet

Boattlebot Thanks this.
  10. lawsonott

lawsonott Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    oh, and by the way, if you do go with Prime, do NOT let them sucker you into a lease. it's all rainbows and gold glitter until you're in the truck.
    the only people who should lease-purchase are those who are trainers and have their students driving like a team operation (trainer only has to pay half of the student's wages).
    my trainer was making over 110k/yr net. watched him write a check for 8 grand to uncle sam as if tossing away an old penny.
    other lease operators honestly average a take home of about the same a company driver after all is said and done. if you are unlucky, and have to pay for new tires, mud flaps, etc, you actually make less.
    it is one thing to sit and make little to nothing as a company driver, but when you sit as a lease operator, you are losing money, as you still have the cost of lease, tax, permits, etc...

x1Heavy and Boattlebot Thank this.
  11. Boattlebot

Aug 7, 2016
    I may actually look into prime.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.