Need advise on increasing power. Quad 5 10M radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by slw206, May 18, 2016.

1. slw206

slw206 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Butler, Pa
    I am currently running a Top Gun Quad 5 10M radio. Its has been opened up to run 10M along with the CB frequencies. The radio itself is currently swinging arouns a max 70w with full modulation using a RK56 mic. The SWR is around 1.1-1.2 using the good coax and dual browning antennas.

Now i will say 90% of the time this radio talks as far as i want to talk. However there are times i want more. The receive is so good on the radio that i can pick up transmissions much further than ever before. So if i am having a conversation i wind up running out of power before i lose their signal.

I have heard of texas star linears, and other forms of amplification but dont know much about them. What i would really like is something in the 250w-350w area with variable power. So as needed i can turn off, up or down the power.

What would be my best option? I dont know my dead key wattage and i kinda hate the RK56 mic ( depends to much on perfect placement on lips to get full modulation unless i wanna yell into it). So i could find out my dead key wattage and would be willing to buy a new mic also.

Hopefully someone has some sugestions. I can answer questions also but since i am on the road do not expect a speedy responce.

Thanks

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What kind of truck?
    Antenna system?
    Details?

4. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    If it's a newer rk56 I would trash it and buy a ranger sr198 mic

5. Radio Dr.

Radio Dr. Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Virginia
    Sounds like your radio needs peaked on the transmitter side and a good microphone would also improve your output. Texas Star amps are good as long you don't overload them.

kamen rider Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Sounds like a good time for Ridgeline to chime in so I can agree with him

darthanubis Thanks this.
  7. slw206

slw206 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Butler, Pa
    2016 prostar, dual browning antennas, good coax, grounds redone, mirrors doors new power and ground to radio, radio has been peaked, so amplifier is next option. The rk56 is about 10 years old so not sure if that's considered new or not

8. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Based on what you said about the RK56 I'm guessing it's one of the crap newer ones. My original modulates all my radios very well. The newest version of the RK56, with the orange and grey logo, is decent as well. Sounds a little thinner than the original, but still modulates well. IMHO it's overpriced.

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    They didn't start making them in China until about 5 years ago. safe assumption he has a good microphone

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I would focus more attention to the antenna system before spending money on an amplifier to amplify the harmonics and create further problems.
    The factory antennas should outperform those Browning antennas.
    There's a 99% chance that a stock Cobra 29 will outperform the radio that you currently have as well

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Reason for edit: lots of awful radio technicians out there
    darthanubis Thanks this.
  11. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    I highly doubt the factory antennas would outperform the browning antennas. International uses the cheapest crap they can use.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.