Need help changing directions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SemperFiServices, Aug 29, 2016.

1. SemperFiServices

SemperFiServices Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey y'all, I did 20 in the Marines, got out, and been doing ok car hauling the past 3 years on my own. But I'm looking to see if there's better options doing power only work, I'm thinking about parking my car trailer, quit fighting with brokers over cheap freight, and just running my tractor for someone else with reliable freight at a decent rate. All I know is car hauling, and I've never been a company driver, so as much as other guys have been beat up here lol, I'm hoping for some honest, educational answers that will give me insight to other opportunities. Looking for team positions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I remember you posting when you were still active duty Marines.
    Trailer Transit is power only and truck must look pretty good and be no older than 10 yrs.
    They pay 50% in advance for each trip.
    Tell us about your truck so other drivers can give you more ideas.

SemperFiServices Thanks this.
  4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    If you are looking for team positions, I'd look into expediting. Panther and several of those types of operations have tractor trailer expediting, are geared toward teams, and unless I'm mistaken, provide the trailer. And from their ads, appear to pay pretty good.

SemperFiServices Thanks this.
  5. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I've never actually looked into it, but it seems to me Air Freight would be a good business because it's expensive...seems like it would be good to be in that food chain

maybe some Forward Air and those types of guys could respond

6. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Lol,forward air is worse than pulling containers.harrisburg pa to boston ma $400 and some change,the recruiter was so confident telling me that and that most loads are terminal to terminal drop and hook,he gave me a good reason to beleive he's insane.Mats this year

7. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    If you want a to pull a van & do a lot of drop & hook for percentage pay not mileage look into Schneider choice program. It's worked for me. They do have some truck stipulations though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.