Need help identifying a Cat 3406

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by zx150, May 1, 2012.

1. zx150

zx150 Medium Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Getting ready to start an in frame on my '94 KW W900, before I start ordering parts I need to figure out exactly what I have for an engine. The truck has what I believe to be a 3406B and the dealer tells me that the truck originally left the factory with a 3406C. There's no ID tags on the motor that's in there now unless you guys know of a good spot to check where it might be stamped into the block.

Here's a few photos of the engine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, do I have a 3406B or 3406C?

Thanks!

TGUNKEL Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    It's most likely a C. The block number is stamped on the turbo side, you should be able to look thru the cutout in the insulation to find it. It is the blacked out area that you can see on the turbo side picture. It should be a 3ZJ prefix.

4. cowcatcher

cowcatcher Light Load Member

I agree with SmokinCat. You got yourself a 3406c prefix 3ZJ.

5. zx150

zx150 Medium Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I'm guessing that you're referring to the square towards the rear of the block to the left of the dipstick and underneath the turbo, correct? Will take a look in the morning. Also the serial number I've been given from KW is 4ck16893, will that number be what I'm looking for or is there another number with the 3ZJ prefix?

Many thanks!

6. SmokinCAT

Oct 20, 2010
    If that's the number KW gave you it would prolly be right. The 4ck was a what they call a PEEC engine yours would have originally had an electronic governor on the back of the pump as well as a electronically controlled timing advance and a ECM. It looks as though someone has converted it to full mechanical. It is a good setup now.

Semi Crazy Thanks this.
  7. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    I think that cone shaped cover on the driver side near the air compressor means it's a C

8. truckmechanic

truckmechanic Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    Pretty sure its a 3406b. I thought all 3406c were pec motors peck have elec throttle and the front cover has a couple wires running out of the timing advance cover

9. SmokinCAT

Oct 20, 2010
    The most common serial prefixes for the PEEC are 8TC which is a B and and 4CK for the C.

The thing is since someone has done a conversion on the OP's engine it could be a B pump and advance. The best thing that could ever be done to a PEEC is a conversion to manual, then it is a great engine.

There are plenty of full mechanical 3406 C's built by CAT, the serial prefixes are 3ZJ, 5KJ, and 8PN. The 3ZJ can be either a B or C depending on when it was built.

Robert cab over and truckmechanic Thank this.
  10. zx150

zx150 Medium Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Cleaned up that spot on the turbo side of the block the best that I could and couldn't see anything at all, going to try and take a rubbing of it later to see if maybe there's a number there that I can't see.

Did find some other numbers scattered around the motor, maybe you guys can make sense of these.

On or near the fuel pump:
    7W3906
    7W5785
    7W688
    7W4886
    SLDC

On the cylinder head or Jake assembly:
    7E0329

On the rear of the motor over the bellhousing on the driver side:

Maybe these number don't have any meaning at all but thanks again for the help!

11. truckerjc

truckerjc Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2011
    hoxie,kansas
    A B has 6 point head bolts & a C has 12 point.

H2oburymatt and puncher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.