Need help removing faring mounted work lights

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Salty Lad, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Salty Lad

Salty Lad Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I'm currently leasing a new Freightliner, and for some reason it came with those bulbous work lights mounted on the sides of the fairings, even though the truck comes stock with worklights installed on the rear of the cab. So pretty much the only thing these side mounted worklights accomplish is to block the numbers on the trailer so I cannot read them from within my cab, and probably add wind resistance. So I've asked the finance company(Schneider Finance) if they can be removed, and they said yes, so long as I keep them available for reinstall if they have to take the truck back(in case of default or trade in). This means that I cannot cut the cable that powers the lights, as they would want to replace the cable entirely.

Well, I can remove the light bracket no problem, but the cable that leads in to the cab is a bit of a problem, as I do not know where it connects to power within the cab. I pulled the plastic cover in teh sleeper from about where the cable leads into that "wall", but now I'm faced with another piece of metal that probably was meant to protect all the electrical cables.

But I'm figuring as pointless and redundant as this stupid light is, there had to be intent to make it easily repairable in case of failure down the road. Is there a way to either easily access the point at which the cable ties into the electrical system, or pull the cable out of the light itself?

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    Best bet is cut it along back side of fairing. Split the shield cover and electrical tape the 2 wires so they dont short out the lights when you cut the on. When you cut the wire to remove the light make sure it has enough wire on the light bout 2 or 3 feet to easily repair

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    If you can, why not leave them mounted, but reinstall them on the inside of the fairing, that way they can still serve a purpose but be out of your way.

5. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    They drilled though the fairing to wire it up. I drive for the also

Salty Lad Thanks this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Will they let you cut the wires and install quick disconnect?

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Those lights DO serve a purpose...or at least they are supposed to. They are mounted wide to light up along side of the trailer...to provide light behind you as you back up...allowing you to SEE what is along side your trailer at night.

8. Salty Lad

Salty Lad Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I'd like to do that, but the cable runs through a hole in the fairing, and it isn't long enough to run behind.

But that got me thinking, so I went on up and took them down and after removing the bracket that held the cable to the inside corner of the fairing, there was JUST ENOUGH cable that I could run it over the top of the fairing, holding the cable completely taut. So, that will work for now, but I'd still like to get them taken down eventually.

Thanks for greasing the gears in my head, #### thing seems like it's getting rusted!

9. Salty Lad

Salty Lad Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I've never used them for backing, my marker lights have always been more than enough to light up my sides at truck stops, and everywhere else seems to have pullthrough parking. Besides that, I am an early riser, and the sun is generally still shining by the time I park anyway.

And if cutting is my only option, I may just have to do that. But it seems asinine to need to do that, While I was up there looking at the things, those bulbs do not look easy to replace, if you can replace them individually at all. You'd think they'd design in a way to easily replace them when the bulb gives out, or some newbie rips a fairing off.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Why not chop the wire and have a Deutche plug or Weatherpak plug wired onto the ends? It's clean and neat, looks professional and I doubt they'd ever complain about it if the truck had to go back.

11. AnneK

AnneK Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2014
    That's what I was thinking, but to suggest putting the clips in yourself. At least for the little clips like that, it's a lot easier than it sounds. You can get the clips at www.delcity.net and Metri-pack is easiest if it's your first time doing the wiring. Just make sure you do the wires one at a time so you don't get them mixed up and the connectors will be lettered. Install the first wire into "A" on both sides, the second wire into "B" and so forth. I build harness, but this is the kind of stuff I started out on. When putting together the clip, the one thing you'll need to know is that you strip the wire enough to be pinched by the second, smaller clip on the metal end with either two or three bumps depending on your wire gauge. The first set, which is a single only, is to hold on the weather seal, which slips over the wire wide end first. You line the skinny end of the connector up with your wire insulation and connect this single strap around the skinny end of the weather seal. I like to do the wire clip first and the seal clip second. Anyway, it's a lot easier than it sounds. Get a couple extra and practice on some spare wire if you want, but since these are identical to the factory clips, it's unlikely that they would even question this being the original connection.

Salty Lad and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.