Need help with sending...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by CB rookie, Jun 27, 2015.

1. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Hello, I have a new Galaxy cb that I bought while I was active duty in Georgia, now I am reserve and have mounted the unit, but don't seem to be able to send as far as I receive. I have a small 100w amp wired in as well. I can't recall the name of the antenna, but it is mounted on top of my truck, it has a magnet, and the antenna unscrews from it. The antenna itself is maybe three feet tall, and the diameter is just about the same as a regular car antenna, it also has a spring built into the base of the antenna. From research, there is no shops around me to get help from. I will be more than willing to post all info that you ask for, just not sure other than model numbers of unit and amp to post.

Or, should I swap over to HAM?
    Thanks in advance......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    What galaxy radio?
    What amp?
    What antenna?

Could be, your radio isnt set up to drive the amp properly.
    100 watt amp will not take much drive, most likely, your radio is pounding the snot out of the amp, especially if it is a dual final radio.
    Take the amp out of line, see if your distance improves.

4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Sounds like you don't have much for an antenna......pictures would help if you can't see a name on it. I wouldn't try to talk on it until I had checked the SWR.

Bout Z Thanks this.
  5. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    I will post pictures later, for now I will do my best to answer questions,
    1) When I bought it, the owner of the "tweaked" the radio for me.
    2) When I took it back to get it looked at, when connected to his shop antenna, it had great range.
    3) The SWR is sect correctly. I had the shop owner mark the radio where all the dials should be. When I key the mic, the meter is right on. (I am new to this so I tried to set myself up for success as much as I could)
    4) If it the antenna (which is what I am leaning toward as well) which do you recommend? Remember, this is a daily driver, I do not want a permanent mount. I would like to stay magnet, one that unscrews from the magnet, and is flexible with a spring at the base like the one I have.

I know the wants are a lot to ask, and there may not be a well made antenna that fits my list, but let me know which one out there will be the best for my situation. Thanks for the replies....

6. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Here are the parts of the complete unit...
    As you can see on the radio and amp, the shop marked where to put the settings on the radio (silver dots), and which switch to throw on the amp (middle one).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    So what kind of range are you getting?
    What is your swr reading on channel 1 and 40?
    Are you hearing locals talking, and not able to get back to them? Or are you hearing cross country skip?
    Radio checks can be hard to get sometimes.

Not familiar with that antenna, but you want to run the longest antenna you can get by with. A 102" whip is best, but not always feasible to run one. If there are any cb shops, or truck stops near you, you could probably pick up a wilson 1000 mag mount. Sirios are great antenna as well, but you will most likely have to order one online. I run a sirio 4000hp on my pickup, but its 7ft tall, a wilson will be around 5ft. Something to consider if there are alot of low clearance areas near you.
    Your antenna is the most important part of your setup.

8. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Not real sure honestly on the range I am sending. The SWR readings are as follows; Ch1 1.5- Ch40 1.4. My antenna is a total of 42" from the bottom of the mag base to the top of my antenna. It's located right in the middle of the top of my truck. The current antenna does hit the trees and such, any more may be quite the issue.There are no local shops near me that I could find on line. I am very near to Pontiac, Michigan if anyone knows of one...

9. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
  10. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Swr is pretty good. You should be getting decent range with that antenna I would think.
    So how do you know your not getting out?

Do you have s pickup truck, or is it an suv? If you have an suv, you may try moving the antenna more towards the rear of the vehicle and away from the sunroof, then recheck your swr.
    This is a good read for mobile setups. Its a ham site, but the same applies for cb.
    http://www.k0bg.com/

11. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    The reason I say I am not getting out is because I very rarely get any replies to my "radio checks". Other than having someone else that I know have a radio, and doing a distance check, I'm kinda stumped...
    This unit is on a full size truck, as you can see from the pictures, it's just about right in the middle of the roof. Not saying you are wrong, but why away from the sunroof? What is the issue having it there? I only ask for future information.
    As I said before, my set up in the place of business from where I bought it picked up close to thirty miles away, but I am unsure what antenna he was using, I would guess a pretty big one, seeing how it is a place of business.
    Thanks for the link, I will check it out, and please keep the info coming in, it is very useful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.