Need help with sending...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by CB rookie, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Like I said, radio checks are hard to come by these days. Alot of truck drivers rarely ever have them on, or even run one for that matter.

The reason I say to move your antenna back from the sunroof, you want the most metal under the antenna you csn get.They can become directional depending how they are placed on a vehicle, and where the most mass of metal is. For example; If had an suv, if you placed the antenna on the roof, at the rear, it would be more directional to the front. Placed at the front it would be more directional to the rear. Not that it wouldnt work in all directions, it would just be stronger one way or the other depending on how it sees the ground plane.

Base antennas like that shop was most likely useing, can not be compared to mobile antennas. Just because it reached 30 miles on a base antenna, doesnt mean your mobile will do the same.

Read up on bonding on that website.
    Its one of the most imformative sites that I have read, about mobile setups.

CB rookie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Again, thanks for the link, lots to read and learn about there. The only problem I had was that there wasn't much information (from what I know) that directly relates to my issue. From what I read, I have a good set up installed, but, as suggested before, my antenna may be the issue. Understood, but which one should I go with, and do I need to relocate to a better spot on my vehicle? It would seem that the entire roof would be a good mass of metal to be on from what I read. Most of the mounts and antennas mentioned and pictured there are for much more serious set ups than I have, or are for HAM.

I will go back, I posted before I knew you had replied to my post, lol. I understand what you are saying about mounting more to the rear, I want my radio reception more forward, that is the direction i will be heading, and wanting information from.

4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    The longer the antenna, the better it will work. I have a Wilson 1000 (5ft) on the roof of my pickup. The best way to check your radio is with a buddy. Either in another mobile or even on a base station. That way you know you are getting honest radio checks. Even a stranger on a base station, if you can find one anymore, will be more likely to give you an honest report and hang on the channel as you drive further from them and give you periodic checks. Why? Because folks that go to the trouble to put up a base station are usually a little more "in to" radio and don't mind helping out. If you are hoping for the CB to help you out as far as the ol' "Smokey Report" goes, I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

5. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Not so much for the "smokey report", just emergency and such. I do not know anyone who has one, that is my big issue of not knowing just how far I can send and receive.

Do you think the Wilson 1000 is better than what I have? I seen them on ebay, someplace around $80.00?
    Should I just ditch this and go HAM?

6. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    I found a place today that installs car audio, by chance they have a installer who could measure the out put when I key up. At the radio it measured 3w, at the amp it was the same. He wasn't sure why that is, he told me to put the antenna straight to the radio and see what it does. Kinda like what Bout Z said. I will have to get into my dash to get the wire to reach the radio.

If you look at the picture of the amp, you will notice the shop I bought all the set up from said to only throw the middle switch for power. Does that look correct, or should I be throwing a different switch on it instead?

7. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012

From your picture; bottom switch is the pre-amp, that amplifies the receive signal; the middle switch amplifies your transmit signal; the top switch is for sideband or regular AM signal. You want the middle switch just as the radio guy said.

Does the LED come on when you flick the middle switch on? It should.

TA

8. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Yes, so it would seem that the whole unit works as it should..... I'll try a different antenna I guess.... Wilson 1000, or ?

9. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I've got an RM Italy KL300......I run less than 2 watts into it to drive it. It is good and clean and I've had it in my PK for years with no problems. You might be overdriving that little amp????

10. Outlaw CB

Outlaw CB Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    A - this new generation spends all their time texting and rarely bother to answer a radio check. Never base your opinion of performance unless working a station who is at least partially competent in operation of their gear (which is itself a decent total system with good range and efficiency), and experienced helping another test range and performance.

B - you said 3 foot antenna which is a serious handicap when trying to transmit a reasonable distance. Get a Wilson 1000 or 5000 magnet mount, set the SWR. All your troubles will go away. OK maybe not ALL, but hopefully at least this one.

11. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Outlaw,
    A - I understand what you are syaing, I was driving for a bout 45 minutes yesterday, and conducted radio checks from the time I left my house, for about 20 minutes of the ride, at one minute intervals. No luck, even while in direct eyesight of I-75.

B - To be clear, do you mean just the Wilson magnet, and use my antenna, or the Wilson magnet and Wilson actual antenna? I would think you mean the whole thing, correct?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.