need info on Landstar

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by mdscott, Apr 21, 2007.

1. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    When I was going thru ortentation their was a guy that was wanting to platforms but had no exp doing that so they told him he would first have to pull van for 3 months then he could move up to a platform.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Thanks. I'm sure they update their policies every few months as needed.

4. the punisher

the punisher Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2007
    crossville, tn
    Why do flat beds pay more you ask?....It is my opinion that flat bed guys like myself work a little more with the freight on average, therefore...they work a little harder...(tarping, tie downs, etc...) We don't quite have the drop & hook or let someone else take care of our loads at a dock...I check my load every time I stop and constantly check my mirror to make sure it looks good going down the road. The freight is also exposed to the elements not like a van. Think about it like this...if you put pallets of TV's on a flat bed, if there were no vans...the driver would take an extra look and a little more effort to make sure his load is good because if those TV's didn't get there in good shape...??? That sounds hypothetical...but you do have to consider the fact that a lot of freight won't fit in vans or you can't get in in the vans.

Care and transport of flat bed freight requires a little more of a different kind of effort than vans. Not busting on van guys, it's different freight.. but you can see where I am getting at with this...you'll do more with something different and get paid more to do it right...

5. WallyGator

WallyGator Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Clearwater,Florida
    I worked for landstar from 97-02 in the specialized division pulling an RGN.i would have to say i made more money with them then anyone else i have ever leased to.you truley run your own bussiness..if you can network with the agents.be on time and go the extra mile youll do GREAT.if you can't down the drain you go.Lcapp is awsome for tires and equip you can even finance new trucks/trailers.I left them when the o/d freight slowed to much to keep me going.living in florida diden't help much either.the only bad things i can say about them is all the little extras they take.i think it was like 2% off of 100% for paper work,2% for GOV loads that was 85% of my loads.just little stuff like that.the way around that is have the agent add 10% of the load to acc charges.we used to get 100% of that:biggrin_25522:. the other weird thing is landstar split my years of service up and left gaps of 3months here and 6months there?my DAC report looks like i kept coming and going.ive called landstar to no end they said inway records are kept in another location becouse of merging inway out of the system.it's a good thing i have proof of my years of service.

6. debbiedoll0725

debbiedoll0725 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Rockford, IL.
    We have been with Landstar for (3) years, now. You should call Landstar in Jacksonville, Florida and talk to them.
    Landstar is a great company. They do not have forced dispatch. You build a relationship with the agents to get loads. Also Landstar has a load board that you can call the agent directly to get loads.

They pay 100% of the fuel surcharge directly to you. It takes a little time to learn their system, but it is worth it.

Even though freight right now is slow, if you work hard to keep your truck loaded, you will make good money.

My husband and I are with the (Landstar Express America) side. We own a 1997 International Straight Truck. We have had (3) great years with Landstar. They work hard for you, but you have to also work hard for them.

7. windbreaker

windbreaker Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Greenville,Tx
    No one should be called in to any orientation if they do not qualify, it can cause a lot of problems for the applicant, not to mention he left his last employer to sign on,etc.

8. rgrbch47

rgrbch47 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Elizabethtown, Ky
    Just as I figured all along. I came here to this site, seeking the "Truth" I guess I just got it, and then some, Thanx for opening my eyes with the truth

9. rgrbch47

rgrbch47 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Elizabethtown, Ky
    FINALLY!!! The truth, instead of the everyday "Sugar Coated" mumble jumble, I came to this site seeking the TRUTH, and I got just THAT!!!, Thank You

10. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Seymour,Tn
    Lot's of hidden recruiters on here lol. Landstar isn't a bad place, you just need to know all the truth instead of just the sugar coated truth. I am still with them and freight is doing good finally this year. But I went bankrupt before it got better. Luck would have it my dad retired from Landstar and I took his truck over and was able to continue business.

11. Curious1

Curious1 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Texas
    I think coming on here to learn the "truth" is a good idea. Although I don't think we ever really get "truth". I always keep in mind that that it is a person posting. Their habits and attitudes play a part in their experience with a company. And when they post here usually their emotions play a part.

The post you referred to as the "truth" is almost 3 years old. Current information would be a better choice to find the "truth"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.