Need real answers to start heavy haul.

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by ConservativeEyes, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ConservativeEyes

ConservativeEyes Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Colorado
    My name is Monty, Does anyone knows how to start heavy hauling as a roocky? I've driven with class A CDL in several states hauling hazmat with tankers, flatbeds, huge hydraulic fracturing equipment, and etc.,.., but nothing over 127k, does anyone know which companies allow a new comer to gain experience for heavy haul? Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
    Reason for edit: No phone numbers
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phildo

Phildo Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Find a local HH company that also has smaller trailers. Work your way up. It takes time.

catalinaflyer Thanks this.
  4. Orangees

Orangees Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Iowa
    I know of one company in Jacksonville Florida. Rinaudo Enterprise Inc.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Pretend heavyhaul or real heavyhaul?

peterbilt_2005 Thanks this.
  6. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Pretend heavyhaul is where its at! All the ego strokes of real heavy haul with only a fraction of the headaches of a superload.

Caterpillar Cowboy Thanks this.
  7. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Unless you just happen into a job then your going to have to start somewhere then work your way up. Some work up faster than others, some prove themselves very quickly like @ColoradoGreen and others take time.

Answer to your question,
    Companies like Lone Star, Valley Transportation, ATS, Combined will start you on the smaller OD stuff and work you up to the bigger loads.​

Advise if you want to read it,
    Where I'm at we don't do much "heavy haul" per se but we move a lot of "super-loads" that are super based on the other three dimensions not weight. We have guys that come here with no OD experience, they run legal loads for 90 days+/- then start working up but it takes time and no 2 drivers progress at the same pace. We have some that have worked all the way up in a couple years while others are still working up after 10 years, every driver is different. Then there are those who finally get their first super and their ego swells the head so incredibly large that they can't permit enough weight on 20 axles to carry it. Don't mistake confidence for being ####y or having a big ego. Two totally separate things.​

Build confidence but don't become ####y, take the crap work when asked then when the boss man is sitting there with the option of using you or the driver who has an attitude thinking he's above the rest you'll be the one driving off with the good load. Too many drivers finally get that SLQ (Super load qualified) or whatever a company uses to denote your level on their info page in the computer and all the sudden they become untouchable and incapable of doing smaller or legal loads.​

There are a few drivers here that complain because I get all the "good loads". Well I don't get all the good loads and 90% of the time when I'm driving away with the "good load" it because I just came back from doing the #### load they refused to do last week because they are too good to be bothered with it.​

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I purposely did not get my doubles endorsement until I thought I was ready when I started. I started my first day at 10 feet wide and my second day at 11.5 wide 14.8 tall and 120k. Now since then I have gotten my doubles and have been 162k gross and on another load 135 feet long bumper to bumper. It does take time but I was new and I got my license on a Thursday and on Friday I was moving the 10 foot wide load. No trainer and had only driven a semi 5 times across Montana over the course of a year.

9. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yep, When I got my lowboy truck and trailer setup, at first I was a little bummed out that my trailer wasn't set up for a jeep and booster. After running it I'm perfectly happy being limited to 7 axles for the time being. Will basically haul 95% of anything that comes around locally which is what I use it for anyway.

macavoy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.