Need some advice in becoming a o/o

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jet0701, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Jet0701

Jet0701 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I am a fairly new truck driver I have about 3 year old experience . Mostly in the oilfields of south Texas with some OTR. I am looking to buy a used truck for OTR .. The advice I am looking for is who would be my best choice to lease on with .. I am looking to run teams with my girl friend eventually we want to run on our authority ..thank you very much in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Too many variables to give a perfect answer. First, if you plan to run coast to coast, then you need a CARB compliant truck to enter California. Google : California CARB compliant trucks
    If you plan to haul produce out of California, then look at trucks spec'd for that, such as used truck from TransAm.
    For flatbed, look at used truck from Melton Truck Lines; their trucks spec'd for flatbed work.
    Both TransAm and Melton trucks are equipped with Tripac APU.
    Study the www.OOIDA.com website which is a business website for the owner-operator.

Post what type trucking you're interested in and plenty of knowledgable owner-operators on here for advice on companies to lease with.
    @Wooly Rhino is a new o/o on here that's been shopping around and can give you some advice, plus many others such as @double yellow They can also give you advice on why not to buy a truck with MaxxForce engine.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Terry270, thejackal and Garvian Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I'd say, read the good threads of people who have already done this, as stated in the previous post. I think, you need to have 20K at the very least to do it. As far as a carrier to lease on to...my advice is to find something local encompassing owner operators. I'd stay away from big fleets, very old trucks, brand new trucks and leased trucks too.

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    If you plan on running hard as a team in a used truck you need to figure how many miles you will have on it when paid off. Take a 6-7 hundred thousand truck and start putting 5-6 k a week on it and your over a million real quick..

6. Jet0701

Jet0701 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I live in near the Mexican boarder I am planning to look into produce

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get a California compliant truck then.
    There's dozens of reefer outfits that will hire you as an 0/0, so maybe an 0/0 on here will give you some good leads.

Jet0701 Thanks this.
  8. Pete jockey

Pete jockey Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    North of Pittsburgh Pa
    If you do sign with a company, make sure it's all o/o, don't want to compete with company trucks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.