Need some advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Triumphed, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Triumphed

Triumphed Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    I've got a friend wanting me to haul a couple cars from Vegas to LA area. I've just got a pickup and a gooseneck trailer. What's a decent rate? I'm curious what I could charge him? Any good ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If he's a friend and you lack MC authority, have no USDOT numbers, you aren't apportioned, and don't do this professionally? I wouldn't charge him a dime. Doing so makes it a commercial endeavor which means you'll need all of the above, plus a CDL, medical card, log book, etc.

Doing a favor for a friend is different...that allows you to use a privately owned pickup and trailer to haul a couple cars for him without needing MC authority, USDOT numbers, log books, medical cards, or any of the other regulatory crap.

One other issue you might run into is insurance. A favor for a friend is usually covered by your personal policy. If you are paid to haul something, that personal policy may not apply leaving you up a creek without a paddle if anything happens...you'll need a commercial policy.

If you do this for a living and have what you need in place, you should know what it'll cost you to make the trip and charge accordingly based upon how good a friend it is. IF NOT, then I sure as heck wouldn't charge for the move. Take your friend along and have him pay for the fuel as you go. That way the stuff on the trailer belongs to someone in the truck so there is no question as to the "private/non-commercial" use of the equipment should the DOT decide to have a look at what you're doing.

Nothing prohibits you from helping a friend move. If you're charging him, though, a completely different set of rules apply.

4. Triumphed

Triumphed Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Ok, ya the plan is that he is coming with me. He just said he wanted to make it worth my time so I'm just curious what is a reasonable rate?

5. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Need at least. 2k to visit commieforniA

6. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    How good of a friend is he that you seem so hellbent on charging him any kind of rate?

I think bro rule pizza n beers applies here. plus gas

Vilhiem, Canned Spam and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Reread Bulldog's post.

Tell him to buy fuel and dinner, pay for drinks, and for you to bust a nut in a stud ranch. You don't try to profit off your friends.

8. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    they may not be friends after this, i see no problem with charging the soon to be, ex-friend.

find out exactly the miles, your fuel mileage, oil you may burn up per x number of miles, then charge him at the very least $5.00 per mile, per car.

make sure you see insurance coverage for his cars. make sure you check out the cars for previous damages, make sure you take lots of pictures.

then do not be afraid to charge him. if he doesn't like it, tell him, go find someone else.

Triumphed Thanks this.
  9. Triumphed

Triumphed Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    I told him I'd see what the going rate was... I'm not trying to be an ### to him. Thanks for the advice!

G.Anthony Thanks this.
  10. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    at least $5.00 per mile, per car. you will have expenses, like food, fuel, maybe a motel on the way there, or once there, or on the way back. none of that should come out of your pocket.

do not forget you original posting, "a friend WANTS YOU to haul cars"....

to me, this means free. if he does not like the prices, he can always go and rent.

this is why, when i buy trucks, i DO NOT loan myself or the truck out for free. they WANT IT...THEY PAY.

frankly, once i mention money, how quickly they don't WANT any more.

something goes wrong, like a break down, who pays..??? YOU right??

get into an accident, do you think he'll jump all over you for money..???

this is where the friendship line gets drawn in the sand,

Triumphed Thanks this.
  11. Slap some

"Not for hire". " private use only". Stickers on the side.

Run his cars to Vegas. Have him cover

"What happens in. Vegas stays in Vegas"

Throw some of his money down on the craps table. Go see a show.

Don't bend your friend over for 540 mile trip.

Uship hauls cars for a buck a mile per car. You haul 2 or three and you make a buck.

Keep the friend charge his neighbor through the nose. Don't do a friend dirty.

@TripleSix was right on, cover gas keep the friend

TripleSix Thanks this.
  12. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    5 dollars per mile per car? For that rate you could get a tow truck to tow them out there individually. That's an absurd rate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.