need some insight fellas

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by rltrucking, Mar 3, 2015.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    OP. I think you can make some money as a truck owner. You will need to look at your truck every week. I wouldn't rely on a phone call each week to hear about how well the truck is running. You have no idea what is going on with that truck unless you see it. By the time you get that call from a wrecker it's too late. Game over. Good luck.

rltrucking Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Another point. You and the driver are not friends when it comes to the business. He is the driver and you are the owner. You can work together but he and you have to know You have the last (or First and only) word. This business is hard. Easy to get into. Easy to fail. You both may have the same objectives, not always the same plan or path. Business IS Business and their are no friends when it comes to Business. You can be friendly of course. If you don't know where your money is, consider it gone. Good luck.

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Case in point. I have a dear friend, we've known each other for 30 years. Like 10 years ago, he had his own truck, steady run, but a long day. (Milwaukee, LaCrosse, Winona Mn, back to Milwaukee) He took sick and was in danger of losing the run, so I said, I'll take the run Fridays and Mondays, that way he could rest for 4 days, he ran T, W, Th. Well, that worked for a while, then a Twin Cities was thrown in once in a while. OK, I did it, (see where this is going?) Then the company wanted him to do Twin Cities and "other" things, and he expected me to stay in the truck all week. I said, wait a minute, pal, this isn't what we had in the beginning. He got real belligerent with me, saying, you're my driver, you'll do as I say. This was my friend of 30 years, mind you. Well, it ended up #### you, #### you, I quit, and we didn't speak for 7 years. Recently, I called him, he had since sold the truck, and all was forgiven.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.