Need unlimited or high voluum internet for my truck

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by Skyfall, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Skyfall

Skyfall Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Hi. I'm currently using my at&t 10 gb plan, but that isn't enough for my needs in navigation and communicating. Whats the alternative? Maybe I should buy xfinity or some 4g modem? Really need your advice truckers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    I have att, 20gb plan. I use my phone and tablet exclusively in navigation and communication, with the occasional football game thrown in. I'm usually right around 5-6gb a month personally and my family chews up the rest. In my opinion you should have plenty of gigs to do what you need to do. Here's how I manage my data...

-No netflix on the road.
    -try to limit YouTube and other gig killers as well.
    -use my copilot app as much as possible. This was the game changer for me. You download the maps onto your device and then they are stored on your phone. I always run my google maps when planning the trip, along with copilot and my paper atlas. Then when I'm underway I use the copilot app to navigate. It can be time consuming but to me well worth it. I also use truckerspath app for scales and available parking. WAY handy.

You probly know all this but just wanted to chime in anyway, as I struggled with my data plan for a while too. Good luck and stay safe!

4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Verizon just started a new plan where you can "pick your size". One has 18 GB for 100 bucks...and it ain't cheap, but you can buy a lot more data of you want. One plan was 750 bucks, for 100 GB. It ranges from small, 1gb for like 20 bucks a month to as high as you might not wanta pay. Go to their website, and shop plans.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Reason for edit: To correct my erroneous info.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think the OP is going to have a problem with "no this and no that" ... hence the post.

All you can do is shop around for the best base plan (cost per gig) you can find, then factor in the cost per gig over the base. These overage costs are typically not that bad when compared to the unreal cost of 80gig+ type plans. Then pay for what you use, no more, no less.

MrEd and scottlav46 Thank this.
  6. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    Lol good point. It do take a lot of discipline to not spend your margins on stupid stuff.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And BTW, the truck stop wifi hotspots typically suck, but you can pay the monthly costs and be able to access reasonably ok throughput for brief periods of time at some truck stops, at some times of the day and on some days of the week. But typically these are so disgustingly slow, they simply aren't worth the money. Occasionally you can park next to a McDonalds or other establishment that offers free wifi with decent speeds.

8. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    If your mainly using your phone sprint has an unlimited talk text and web for $60. Not sure on hotspot plans but i can add it to my plan and use my phone for it. If you trying to use netflix i use it on my phone and use miracast dongle on tv to watch.

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I have Verizon and it's way too high in my opinion.

T-mobile has unlimited data/calls/texts for like $80/month and that allows you to use up to 7Gb when the phone is in hotspot mode. So a tablet can piggyback on the phones unlimited data.

Now as to footprint... I hear it's getting better.

Tony850 Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Don't need to add a wifi device to phone plan..phones do that very thing already.

11. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Buy an unlimited plan on eBay ATT or VZW.

I wouldn't give mine up if I got it for free from TMo (should be TLess) or Sprint.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.