Needing Valid medical card to keep CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by bowman316, Dec 28, 2015.

1. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    So last year I got out of trucking, and am working a desk job now. But I still have my CDL, and want to keep it, just in case. But I just got a letter from the state of FL saying I need to get a new physical, or give up my CDL. Seems kind of silly, since I'm not currently using my CDL, and any company that hires me would require a new physical anyway. But I guess I have to get my own physical to keep my CDL.

Just seems like more unnecessary govt regulation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Without a new medical card your CDL wont be valid. Try applying for a new job without a valid CDL.

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You may be able to go into the DMV and have them 'suspend' your CDL privelege from your liscense pending a return to trucking and a valid medical cert. We did this in Missouri for my wife, $2 fee applied - may not be applicable in all states.

NavigatorWife and baha Thank this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Just recertify as one of the "exempt" options, thereby negating the need for a physical. IF you ever do decide to get back behind the wheel, be sure to have a new physical AND recertify again to the appropriate option.

brian991219, 123456 and bowman316 Thank this.
  6. bowman316

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    Thank you! that worked like a charm! I just said I was excempt and only doing intrastate. Did it all online.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Most states will allow you to Self-Certify (DMV), thus allowing you to hold your CDL, but not needing a Medical.

NC now puts a Restriction K, Intrastate on your License.

8. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Just go get physical. Someone might need some weekend help or some emergency may come up where you could make some cash and you'd be ready this way.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi bowman, not sure about Fla. but in Wis. I chose Tier 4 on the self exam thing, and kept my CDL, ( possibly grandfathered because I held a CDL since 1996) but can't leave the state in a class 8 vehicle without a med card, which is fine by me.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  10. bowman316

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    I wish I could find a part time truck driving job. Like just 1 day a week, or here and there when ever they need me. seems like most are full time.

11. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX

Just don't sell yourself short by not being ready if a great opportunity pops up. If they need someone for anything you have to be ready to act right away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.