NETTTS: 160hr vs 540hr course

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Bus-Trucker12, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Bus-Trucker12

Bus-Trucker12 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Springfield
    Hello, all you handsome folks

I'm having a dispute about what cdl program to take at NETTTS (besides tri-state, its the only school closest to me). There's the full, 540 hour program that teaches students everything about the trucking industry and there's a 160 hour program that only teaches students just the basics of operating a tractor-trailer.

I first thought of going to the 160 hr program because I already have prior experience in operating commercial vehicles (in my case, buses) such as pre-trip inspection and defensive driving. But then I thought about the 540 hr program because of some of the stuff I may need to know that wont be covered by the 160 hr program.

If anybody is reading this, what are your thoughts and recommendations? For those who went to nettts, based on your thoughts and opinions, which course do you think I should choose?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cdsc1416

cdsc1416 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2013
    RI
    Im starting at NETTTS in September. I was advised by several companies that the 160 hr course was sufficient. I was even advised by someone at NETTTS to take the 160 hour course. Hope this helps.

4. Bus-Trucker12

Bus-Trucker12 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Springfield
    Yes it does. Much applied.

5. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    compare costs. if I recall correctly, the 540 course is what, like $11,000......??

you wannabe in debt for years trying to pay that off..???

the basics are just that, the basics. nearly any trucking company can train you in short time when they hire you.

6. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Hudson, Florida
    I agree with this, pick the cheapest route. Just make sure its approved schooling with whichever company you are looking to go with.

7. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Everything you NEED will be covered buy the 160hr. Don't throw that much money at NETTTS. I've also heard good things about Tri-State. NETTTS is a good school and all, no question about that, but their heads been getting up there more and more since they opened the other locations years ago. The fact they've self proclaimed themselves as the Harvard of Truck Driving Schools doesn't help that.

I just took a look at their page and it looks like most of their "segments" are things that all the schools teach, they just break it up more. My course did everything their class did minus the NSC Defensive driving course which is really no different than how the CDL manual tells you to drive anyways, and forklift training (which isn't why your there). That's just me.

8. hal380

hal380 Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Connecticut
    There's a school in Waterford, CT which I would recommend very highly. Check them out.

9. Patrick J Callahan

Patrick J Callahan Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Looking at NETTTS and Allstate any input any one Im in NW CT

10. FuzzFace2

FuzzFace2 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Angier, N.C.
    First off I took the 540 hr course. Class of Dec. 2014

1. You can take a loan out for the 540 hr. The 160 hr course you have to pay out of pocket

2. You get so much more from the in class part. Can you read a map? Plan out a trip? You would be surprised how many in class could not read a map and if you can’t read a map how can you plan a trip? Heck some could not pick out the state they lived in from a map of the USA! I missed the first week of map class (vacation), teacher did not want to go back over it to slow class so did not give me the paper till after the rest of class started. I finished before them and had the most right.

3. What happens when you move a 5th wheel or tandems to the weight? And how to scale a truck/trailer or go thru a weight station even if it is a movie. There is enough going on already so it is nice to “see how it is done” before you have to go thru this on the job when your trainer is sleeping.

4. You get more time out on the field with the trucks before testing. Some I think could not get it even if they took the 540 hr course as I worked with them on my own time and they just could not get it.

5. Just to name a few off the top of my head

I had a class B since 1983 but had not used it since then and was upgrading to a class A. I also knew parts of any truck/car as I worked on them. I have pulled different type of trailers behind different trucks from 15’ 1 car trailers to 35’ 2 car trailers, 21’ camp trailers and tow trucks so using mirrors and backing up was no big deal for me.

Could I have done it in 140 hours? Yes I am sure I could have but it was nice to take my time to take it all in and to learn about things I did not know, you cant know it all, where if I took the short course I would not have. BTW I passed the first time testing and was only 2 out of 6 that passed that day the other was a class B guy. Yes I got the red cap & shirt to show for it.

What works for me may not work for you and the other way around.

Good luck
      Dave ----
    edit: I went to NETTTS
    My son took and failed his class A at All State and they want to charge him more $$ to retake the test and that is after the state got their $30 to retake it. I was told the state inspector made the mistake but would not change the paper work so failed him.
    All State also will not let you at the trucks if it is not your time to be there or after you failed. NETTTS lets you at the trucks just ask before you do and if no one is on it have at it. Also you can keep coming back to test till you pass and no extra money not at All State.
    Each all state teacher has there own way to teach and may not be what the state book said how it should be done. This just confuses the students as he / she does not know who is right. NETTTS all teachers teach the same way so you do not get confused.

You get what you pay for

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  11. Paluche

Paluche Light Load Member

May 15, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    The 160 Hr Program would serve you well. Local career centers for unemployed and underemployed may assist with the cost of training as well. Talk to the school to see what financial assistance options are available for that course. If all else fails, FAFSA may be the way to go and you would have to take the longer program.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.