never sleep again at CRETE

Discussion in 'Crete' started by 1casey05, Oct 12, 2006.

1. newbie22

newbie22 Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Iola,KS
    im so glade to hear that almost everyone that drives for crete has been treated the way a driver should be treated. Sounds alot better then most companies you hear about

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. greaterbaatezu

greaterbaatezu Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    All I can say is that when a company has one of the highest compensation per mile packages in the industry, and then pays practical miles ontop of that, what reason could there possibly be to try and cheat? If you can't live on 2500-3000 miles per week at 36-42 cpm practical, then maybe you should take a look at where your money's going. Honestly, drivers should be recalculating their budgets at 2k mi's per week due to the poor economy and spotty frieght. Anything extra from that should be saved for the rainy day that is garuanteed to come.

Civilservant Thanks this.
  4. newbie22

newbie22 Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Iola,KS
    ill you what ive been getting between 2500 and 3500 a week and loving it paychecks are killer

5. SpellBinder

SpellBinder Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Hello BettyAnn. Thanks for setting the record straight on the “never sleep again at CRETE” post.

I have a question for you CRETE drivers. I noticed CRETE requires one year verifiable experience OTR but also mentions it may be waived with a CDL, good work history and their training program.

I drove gravel trucks, 18 wheel end dumps back in the 1980. I retired from a career in law enforcement in July 2009. (My last employment was 14 years.) Since then I have been self employed but not making much money. I still have a CDL and would like drive cross country.

Based on your knowledge of CRETE would it be worth my time to apply there? Will they basically train someone like me from scratch? Or should I go with a company like PRIME, Inc and get a year behind me first?

Thanks for your advice.

Spell Binder

6. evertruckerr

evertruckerr Heavy Load Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My guess is that not only Crete, but every major trucking company in the country will require you to go through a driver training program(truck driving school) You can thank the insurance companies for that. Start calling different companies and asking. I'm willing to bet you'll get the same story from all of them. If you don't want to go through training again you will have to find a local company that is willing to take a chance on you. This opportunity usually comes at the cost of your paycheck at the end of the week.

But often times, even resent local experiance isn't enough to get you into the door without going through a training program.

As a matter of fact, my last trainee had 18yrs experience as a tanker driver but had not driven for 18mths due to an injury at his last job. He had to ride with a trainer for a refresher course.

jvar4001 Thanks this.
  7. possible otr

possible otr Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2010
    I am looking at trucking for a job. The complaints here seem okay but the thing i like is the no waiting for loads. I dont care about hometime since i dont have a real home to go back to in the usa. I will definately look to this company it sounds good to my needs.

8. TruckerGsch

TruckerGsch Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    # possible otr. I am going through this now. I drove OTR in 03 and local since then. Now I have to go back to school at the school that Crete approves. I went with a trainer in the begining with Swift and that was hell. I am hoping that the guys on here are as good as they say. It will make things a lot better. I was a solo driver and dont want to do teams. So I am hoping the trainer understands.

9. bulletfinger

bulletfinger Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Murfreesboro, TN
    sandbagged this site for some time before i logged on. seems to be no end to complainers and serious shortage of advocates (or am i wrong in this affirmation).
    just got my cdl. here's what i'm looking for:

• all the miles/freight a company can feed me
    • good driver support system
    • reliable/safe equipment
    • decent starting pay
    here's what i'm offering:

• driver willing to pickup/deliver anywhere he's asked (except mexico)
    • prefers long otr runs
    • willing to stay out for long periods 6 weeks +/-
    • self-starter. i don't need someone to wipe my #$$. i know when i've got a job to do.
    • can sleep on a stick anytime, anywhere. never have had trouble getting a little sleep or staying awake for that matter
    • understands chain-of-command structure. don't have trouble with it. just keep me in freight; i'll take care of the rest
    sounds like a driver could do worse than crete

c ya, bullet

10. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Recruiters are paid to be wrong. (I know....old thread, but I couldn't resist)

11. TooTall in the Seat

TooTall in the Seat Bobtail Member

May 18, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I am a recent student graduate of a truck driving school in Houston, and landed my first job with Shaffer. I start next Wednesday. I was hoping someone can tell me where Shaffer/Crete's drop yard is in Houston.

All my recruiter could tell me was it was at some place called Equipment Exchange or Xchange, but did not have an address for them. I tried Googling, but got a bunch of different companies with variations of that name.

I called someone at Wilmer and was told it may be at Stewart & Stevens(on?).

I want to rent a storage unit close to the drop yard to leave my personal vehicle in while I am driving.

Can anyone help a newbie!! Thanks!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.