New 30 minute break guidelines?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by j76ny, Nov 14, 2015.

1. j76ny

j76ny Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Canandaigua,NY
    Earlier this week my Qualcomm did an update and shortly after that I started noticing some strange, inconvenient and very annoying behavior. Several times after getting time back after a half hour off duty period, my clock would "reset" to what I had at the begin of that period. It also cut my logged on duty time (pretrip, loading/unloading, etc) down to 1 minute and added the rest to my drive line. Personally I could care less about the on duty occurrences but cutting my half hour break short by 1 minute (as if it never happened) could be problematic, to say the least.

The 3rd time this happened it really screwed me and I had to call my safety manager and have him fix it. About an hour later there was a fleetwide message explaining that new FMCSA guidelines required that the vehicle be off for at least 5 minutes at the end of the 30 minute period for it to count as a 30 minute "break".

Has anyone else experienced this and what exactly is the point of all this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Since when can FMCSA tell you when to turn off your truck? IMHO they can suck eggs

j76ny Thanks this.
  4. j76ny

j76ny Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Canandaigua,NY
    Agreed but in terms of the movement of the vehicle, this seems to be how the Qualcomm is now reading things. There was also something about the vehicle being off for 5 minutes prior to any off duty driving but that doesn't really affect me since I rarely use it.

5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    This almost sounds like they are trying to extend the 30 minute break to 35 minutes. Maybe its a glitch in the system that your company uses.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. j76ny

j76ny Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Canandaigua,NY
    misterG Thanks this.
  7. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    j76ny Thanks this.
  8. orangepicker

orangepicker Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2011
    florida
    mine updated last week also..i see not different as soon a the clock hits 30 min i pull right out of the fuel island

mrdot, w.h.o and tucker Thank this.
  9. j76ny

j76ny Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Canandaigua,NY
    I thought the same thing when I first read the message and considering it takes my box 5 minutes to load..... 40 minutes of wasted time.

10. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    So, your starter is out and you are trying to make the delivery before having it replaced.
    Will the FMCSA pay for the service call to restart your truck because the engine has to be off for 5 minutes for the 30 minute break to be valid?

Derailed and j76ny Thank this.
  11. j76ny

j76ny Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Canandaigua,NY
    Of course they will and probably bring you some coffee.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and misterG Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.