New career at 52

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Shav001, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Shav001

Shav001 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Milton Florida
    Hello I'm Kevin (retired Air Force). I start CTL training Monday (VA Chpt 31) with TDI out of Milton Florida. This forum is awesome! I feel more comfortable headed to class and have a good read on companies to apply at. I'm hoping to find a local tanker job after OJT. I expect some OTR time before hazmat/tanker job. No problem cause my wife said she would tag along. Thanks for all the great information.

Chinatown and d o g Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Welcome, and good luck. The first 3 years of driving my wife rode with me while we drove around the country. Most wives dont even last 3 years, as they get bored after criss crossing the country a few times.

d o g Thanks this.
  4. EndHatred

EndHatred Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    This is the best site to communicate about anything. If you can't find it here, ask a driver in person when you can.

Chinatown, rachi and d o g Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CTL is a good company to get started with. If you live near Pensacola then after some experience, Trimac Transportation has a local terminal there. SVTN has a terminal in Saraland.

6. Shav001

Shav001 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Milton Florida
    Thanks Chinatown. I noticed that you provide tons of useful information to us newbies....much appreciated! Finished first week with TDI school in Milton Florida. Instructors are all experienced and are doing a great job so far. I filled out 20 applications and have received 5 pre-hire letters already. Look forward to driving next week. 5 out of 12 failed the permit test, but they all passed after re-test. Planning to get hazmat/tanker/twic and work regional in Florida Panhandle area.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Well, I try to be pretty accurate with information. The past couple of months I keep getting blocked from the site; has something to do with the server. Being overseas probably has something to do with it. I was in the Navy, so I like overseas, especially the Orient.
    Friend of mine had a job with Kenan running Mobile and the panhandle making over a grand a week and home every day. They usually require experience, but doesn't hurt to apply anyway.
    Anyway, take care and congratulations on the new career.
    I earned my aircrew wings in Pensacola in those old Huey's the Navy borrowed from Ft. Rucker.

8. EndHatred

EndHatred Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    So how's everything going?

9. Shav001

Shav001 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Milton Florida
    Awesome, passed permit start actually driving truck Monday. Little nervous about double clutching and air break test. Thanks for asking.

10. AlexFromMD

AlexFromMD Light Load Member

May 18, 2015
  11. Shav001

Shav001 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Milton Florida
    Today absolutely sucked. Was excited about learning the double clutch and proper RPM to shift, but mostly had a 450lb "I hate my job" instructor scolding everyone for not shifting cleanly (our first day behind the wheel). Needless to say we had a few words. Thought I was back in basic training. Did have good training in backing the trailer later in the afternoon. Hate to complain but $6000 is a lot of money!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.