New CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by mikeh otr, Oct 10, 2015.

1. mikeh otr

mikeh otr Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2015
    I am currently in the Los Angeles area. But, I am contemplating relocating to the Phoenix area. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting my CDL? About 10 years ago I was licensed with one of those 4 week programs, and did not feel that experience worked out too well. I let my medical card lapse, and did not renew my CDL when coming off the road. I was OTR for Central Refrigerated for less than 6 months back then. My main issue with Central was not getting miles and far too much down time waiting to unload once I reached my delivery site, usually 1-2 days ahead of schedule...

I am thinking about getting my CDL and getting back on the road. Not sure if I want to go with a training program like the one offered by Knight, or to a Community College and get the CDL on my own. I know there are pros and cons to both, but as I am still in the early stages, I thought I would seek others input.

I have read several posts on here suggesting the CC route, but I cannot seem to find any local CCs that offer a CDL program. Does anyone know of any schools in Los Angeles area or Phoenix that offer a program? If not, I will probably go the Knight route as I do not want to go to the budget 2-4 week school route again. I do not mind the 1-2 year commitment to Knight, upon completion. Because, I would probably end up with them, anyways...

If I run OTR with dry/refer it will probably be Knight or CCC. If I find a CC and get my CDL on my own, I would probably try and get on with a tanker or flatbed company.

Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The best route is the community college or private CDL school. Make sure the school is 160 hrs. minimum.
    Get all the endorsements plus passport and TWIC ID Card.
    Several schools in Phoenix. Google has several listed.
    DSW Trucking has a school in Phoenix. They pull Swift trailers.
    Celadon has their own CDL school and flatbed division.

Groendye Transport hires out of Phoenix and hires new CDL grads. Their website may have "experience required" but many drivers have posted on here they were hired right out of CDL school simply by submitting an application.
    Flatbed that hire new CDL grads in Phoenix:
    Safer Transportation
    Waggoners Trucking Co.
    Melton Truck Lines
    System Transport
    Watkins-Shepard (flatbed division)
    Roehl Transport

4. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    I couldn't find any CC's in LA when I was looking. So I went too dootson paid the enrollment fee $25 got the DMV test from them and got my permit in 2 days I tried for almost a month to get a trainer with dootson but they had way too many students and not enough trainers. So I said screw it I called up swift went thru the training in Fontana and got my CDL and got hired at system.

I would go TWT OTR or KKW OTR over knight

Why not just go back to central/swift they may just put you on a refresher course.

5. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    All the good cdl jobs are in Phoenix...def dont go with a big otr carrier
    Go LTL...ABF, YRC etc etc...about half of them do training now a days..Redaway, OD, all good gigs!!
    Whatever you want is in Phoenix
    Should have no problem at all there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.