New class A CDL Local Driver, need safe driving tips

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ichudov, Oct 22, 2016.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I recently acquired a class A cdl without going to truck driving school.

I own a company and a manual transmission semi truck and my driver got me started learning, then I drove it for a while, practiced maneuvers and got a class a cdl.

OK, now what. I will be driving semi trucks occasionally, like for 1-4 hour trips and such. I mostly pull a low boy hydraulic trailer, or a gondola trailer (open top). No dry vans.

I want, above all, not to have accidents.

I have learned a driving style by now (after 4 days of driving) that seems to make it easy. I drive at the speed limit, make sure there is plenty of room in front of my truck, so that I do not get cut off by 4 wheelers, that anyone can easily pull in front of me without having to cut me off. I also look in my mirrors very frequently and make sure that no one can get past me on my right, during right turns. I also prefer going on highways, instead of local streets, even if it takes a little longer.

That means that I drive fewer miles every hour, but I do not care, I just care not to have any trouble and to be easy on myself.

I do have obvious difficulties getting into docks and such, but just cover it by being slow and deliberate.

My question is do you have good tips for staying out of trouble.

Additionally, I learned to shift gears with double clutching because I needed it for the test. I want to go away from double clutching. My plan for now is to practice perfect gear shifts so that there is no gear grinding and everything is super smooth. Once I get to this point, I will simply no longer use clutch. Does it make sense?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Make sure to leave 6-8 seconds following distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. That way you have time to come to a safe and controlled stop, without getting rear ended, if something happens up ahead.

Drive 5 mph slower than the flow of traffic. That helps to always maintain your safe distance.

Use all the room you can, even if you don't think you need it.

Slow down and take your time in whatever you're doing. Don't panic.

sevenmph, CasanovaCruiser and ichudov Thank this.
  4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Sounds like you are doing everything right, and good for you for learning everything the old fashioned way and using common sense. It's sad how many people need to be taught to drive safely and defensively (and many times they still don't get it).

You mentioned you always drive the speed limit, which is good, but remember In some cases, the posted speed limit is intended for cars, not heavy trucks, so always be alert for those curves and hills and such where you need to go slower than the speed limit.

Good luck, I think you'll be fine.

P.s. The subject of double clutching is one of the most debated subjects on here. Some guys swear by it, others swear against it. No matter what we will never agree on it. I won't even bother saying how I feel about it.

ichudov Thanks this.
  5. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Thanks guys. "Slow and deliberate" seems to make everything easier and safer, truck driving included. Great point on following distance, I try to keep a lot of distance so I can slow down smoothly and shift gears easier.

I also agree on using all the room on turns, it is better than using too LITTLE room and getting in trouble. I recently saw a dry van truck demolish a beautiful flower bed, a pile of big decorative stones, and a pole, while making an impossible turn and I thought, geez, good thing it was NOT me.

My opinion regarding double clutching is probably least informed of you all, but as an owner, I feel that the less I use the clutch the less often I need to change it. If I can learn float shifting and do it super smoothly, then, it would seem, I would save money. Now, obviously, I am one of the top 5 most ignorant people in the world when it comes to truck driving!

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  6. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    please don't race through the truck stop, 5-10 mph is all you need

ichudov Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not even 10 mph in the truckstop. Be slow plenty of time to think over everything you see and watch moving and not moving. When you get good, you will see people exhibit behavior that they intend to pull out before they actually do so.

You said low bed.

Crowns in the roadway will be your enemy more than anything. SO many times low boys get stuck trying a U turn or a turn across the pavement and then hang there blocking all sorts of everything and everyone for a day until wreckers come and pry em off.

Trucking is about mentally being ready NOT to HIT ANYTHING. TO HIT ANYTHING is PREVENTABLE. you might RUB it. But don't leave a mark on your rig or load. Don't jack the #### thing too tight, wait until you have your first tank for a museum or a dozer. Then you find out how tippy it is on that low bed.

Securement. Don't ever disappoint me and all others by being lazy and toss one strap on the load. Chain and strap and chain some more until God can pick up your rig and that load will stay on it upside down. Someday someone's or several someones with childrens lives will depend on it. mark my words.

Do not drive tired. Ever.

Do not give in to a plea to run a thousand miles logs be ######. The logs are there for your protection, bought and paid for in blood, tears and sometimes freedom and death.

ichudov Thanks this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    There are. Ton of threads on how to float gears, before you try, just make sure your comfortable with shifting in general first.

ichudov Thanks this.
  9. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Always remain alert and vigilant. Expect the unexpected, always, because it will happen over and over and over again, all day long, every day. Drive like the 4 wheelers are out to ruin your day at every opportunity they get.

10. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    crane.jpg Thanks. Yes, some railroads can hang me up, especially loaded. Same for docks too. There is a railroad near my warehouse where we try not to go through, loaded. Here's a picture of my low boy. The last two are from the last week when I was driving it. 20161020_093635.jpg 20161021_130604.jpg

11. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    I like that you included that. Many drivers don't use this.

ichudov Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.