New Dispatcher Here...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Arickg, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Arickg

Arickg Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Greetings ladies and gentlemen!

So, I just began a new job. Sort of landed in my lap you could say. I am the new dispatcher for a hauling company that has three vans. The only experience I have is what I have learned over the course of about 40 hours so far.

So here I am, a BRAND new dispatcher. My question to you fine folk is what are the most important qualities I should have? What should I always keep in mind when I talk to my drivers? What do you wish your dispatcher would do? Ideas on how to interact with brokers?

Thank you for any ideas, friends.

Erik

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    HONESTY... If you promised a driver something, but things aren't working out the way you hoped, then just tell them the truth. We know stuff happens, just don't make up some song and dance, we'll find out at some point. If you keep speaking the truth , we may not like it at times, but we'll respect you.

4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    If I could thank a post more than once I would give you a hundred of them.

With all the crap we run into out here the very last thing I want to deal with is a dispatcher trying to bs me.

Arickg and jammer910Z Thank this.
  5. PayCheck

PayCheck Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    ca
    I've sat in the drivers seat and been behind the desk. With the drivers just be honest, it won't always work but it's your best bet.

With brokers build relationships with the ones that don't mess you over and deliver on what you said you could get done. When dealing with a new broker don't take a long expensive run that you might not get paid out on.

Sounds like it's a small operation so your going to have a lot of diferent jobs. It's going to be hard when the boss drops a load of crap on your desk and tells you to get it done, telling your drivers is going to be harder. Just be honest with them and they will go the extra miles for you.

Arickg Thanks this.
  6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Respect... Talk to me how you want me to talk to you... Just because we are talking through a phone line doesn't mean the respect issue should change...

7. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Crap happens...but when the same thing happens again and again it's time to solve it.

Like others have said, be honest.

MJ1657, Arickg and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  8. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I'd rather hear an ugly truth than a pretty lie.

Kev's Sunshine, Arickg and jammer910Z Thank this.
  9. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Treat others the way you would like to be treated! Never stoop to the level of a disrespectful driver, just hang up and when he calls back ask him if he is ready to talk to you like a human being and not a dirt bag. Reward the driver who goes the extra mile or does not complain when something goes wrong with a load, give him a gravy run as soon as you can. Be the defender of your drivers to the company as much as you defend the company to your drivers.

rachi, Arickg and uncleal13 Thank this.
  10. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Above and beyond anything else.... THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT!

Don't BS us. Be honest. That's great advice.

Arickg Thanks this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    It is important to always keep the lines of communication open. Don't promise anything you can't deliver.

Arickg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.