New Dispatcher Needing Advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LauraC11, Aug 27, 2015.

1. LauraC11

LauraC11 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Hey Everyone!!
    I am currently in training to become an independent dispatcher and was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice. My husband is a driver and I have heard his opinions on his dispatchers but would like to hear from other people as well.

* Do you prefer working with a dispatcher or taking the time to book your own loads?

* What could a dispatcher do to make your job easier?

* Any other advice you guys have is greatly appreciated. I am brand new to this industry so I am open
    to hearing ideas...

Thanks,
    Laura

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    COMMUNICATION is really important between you and the driver but also with the shipper/receiver get as much info's as you can from your customers and pass them on to your drivers.

The most important thing to me is honesty don't BS either drivers/customers and everything should be fine.

I am self dispatch but i use to be dispatch by a women who have never ever driven a truck and she was good fair honest her expectations were realist....

Good luck

LauraC11 and icsheeple Thank this.
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
  5. LauraC11

LauraC11 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Thanks for the quick reply Ougigoug! What made you switch to self dispatch?

Ougigoug Thanks this.
  6. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth

I switch job and this new gig is all dedicated stuff, i am dealing directly with customers 95% of the time the 5% left is special projects involving more peoples.

We do have dispatch i just don't deal with them.

LauraC11 Thanks this.
  7. stormy379

stormy379 Medium Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Delaware Ohio
    Use your phone to Talk with the drivers, or even text them. The Qualcomm stuff is for the birds. My dispatcher always sends me a "Important" msg as I'm driving. I can't make out what the Qc voice is saying, so I call my dispatcher and leave a msg, she returns it another msg to the Qc. Just talk to me. Lol

LauraC11 and Mr.X Thank this.
  8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Big thing is DO NOT LEAVE THE DRIVER SITTING , be it either on booking a load or just with info they requested , get back to them ASAP. And try to have as accurate info as possible on all the loads time , place , customer requirements, parking available ecte.

LauraC11 Thanks this.
  9. LauraC11

LauraC11 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Thank you guys for the input. This really helps me alot. I'm nervous about starting and doing things wrong so I really appreciate the feedback!!

stormy379 Thanks this.
  10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    The best advise is go drive with somebody for two weeks, so you have an idea what drivers have to deal with on a regular basis

LauraC11 and FLATBED Thank this.
  11. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Much agreed, the best dispatchers understand what kind of crap their drivers have to go through on the road. I will not let anybody dispatch for our drivers that has not been out on the road.

LauraC11 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.