New Driver Considering Tanker Career

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by fjrgerry, Jan 22, 2016.

1. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Pedricktown terminal is right across the river from Phily, just south of the Commodore Barry Bridge. I've always had good runs out of there and never had to sit much. I know they do a lot of dedicated dry bulk and liquid and are growing it seems. Good luck with your interview!

RookieJ1987, wsyrob and fjrgerry Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    The tanker business is much different than any OTR job I've ever seen. Most of the time it all depends on what you are hauling. Tankers hauling gasoline are just about the hardest to get hired on if you have no experience. I'm not saying it doesn't happen just real hard. The best way I have seen work for getting hired on is talking with the person that does the hiring face to face. Especially if you've never hauling product before. But as with any business the better the job the harder it is to get hired on. I prefer gasoline because of many factors. Of course I'm retired now and the better jobs are gone but still there are some great companies to work for. I was home every night. To me that was a great benefit because I had a son that was real young and I didn't miss any of the good stuff. The shift was the same every week and I drove the same truck. The benefits were great with medical being 80/20% PPO and with three different retirement programs I do not have to worry now I'm retired. The pay was very good and the company was not a company that shoved you out the door and told you to make the next stop.

But you've got to decide what type of product you want to haul. Then get out there and knock a few doors down. Once you get going you keep your record clean and YOU will be in demand by the companies. They spend a lot of time and money training you to do the job safely and correctly they will hunt you down because they save a lot of cost in hiring you after you've done it for awhile.

So now do a lot of research and find the companies that fit your needs and go for it. Do not let anyone tell you not to go there because you're wasting your time. It's your time and when you go and talk with them you're gaining experience.

RookieJ1987 and fjrgerry Thank this.
  4. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

How did the interview go?

5. fjrgerry

fjrgerry Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I haven't interviewed yet. I started school this week and only have today off. I've emailed the person letting him know I'll be calling next Monday to hopefully meet next Friday.

6. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Sounds good. Keep us posted, so future superior drivers with little experience know what they're looking at.

fjrgerry Thanks this.
  7. Jokingypsy

Jokingypsy Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    BRT ( Buck Run ) Transport in Parkesburg, PA is a decent outfit to work for, depending on what you are looking for.

Adam

8. fjrgerry

fjrgerry Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Thanks! I just put a request to be contacted. I'll let you know the results. Are you an employee there?

9. Jokingypsy

Jokingypsy Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    No, I worked for them for a year, all in all one of the better companies I drove for, you will get plenty of hours and it is very steady work that pays by the hour. Greg H was who I interviewed with and he is not only a very honest and nice person but he is also a driver himself, its nicer dealing with drivers. Good luck, let me know how it goes .

Adam Shemenski

10. jamar

jamar Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Toledo ohio

11. jamar

jamar Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Toledo ohio
    Hey did u ever decide what company and what are u hauling

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.