New driver new career

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by RDBG, Jun 27, 2016.

1. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Getting a job as a new driver is very doable as I understand. My question is this. How are people going about getting them on the hook while still having a couple months of school school? They will happily take an abstract license resume application FAST card or any other standard stuff, or some have even told me in so many words I shouldn't even be applying till my road test is done. I want to get to work after school ASAP but I don't want to be forced to cram a job search and such a decision into too short a time frame.

Ideally I'm trying to do flatbed or some variation of it with an eye toward heavy and oversize stuff later on whilst hopefully steering clear of Schneider Bison Challenger and the like. Any suggestions on my approach companies to try (I am in SW Ontario) or anything for that matter I'm all eyes and ears. I'm new to the industry but definitely not to life.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    After training you will more than likely have to work for one of the companies you mentioned to get at least a years experience before better companies would consider hiring you

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Before Muskoka was bought out by Titanium. A young fellow just hung around the shop, I think he knew one of the mechanics. He eventually conned them into letting him pull trucks in and out of the shop. Got his license, they put him on team with my brother-in-law for about six months, then sent him out on his own.

5. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Pffff......nope. Starting with a good smaller flatbed company Tuesday. I've had my licence less than a week.

6. Peelsession

Peelsession Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Sioux City, IA
    What company? I've seen a few Searcy trucks around. They're flatbed and do some heavy hauling as well. I want to say they are based out of Winnipeg? Haven't heard good or bad about them.

7. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Schneider, Bison and Challenger are all reputable companies to work for...............

8. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Maybe but one shouldn't believe they're obligated to vans automatic transmissions being out weeks on end team driving or being micromanaged just because they haven't driven since the creation of dirt. You don't have to completely grab your ankles just because you're new.

If you have to sign an employment contract for someone who didn't even pay for school *cough* BISON *cough* there has to be something fundamentally wrong there. 2 years? They must be higher than giraffe #####.

Macneil Thanks this.
  9. Peelsession

Peelsession Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Sioux City, IA
    Yeah, that's my current situation. Not at Bison but similar I suppose. I will say that I'm definitely not micromanaged and we have no teams. My company isn't so big that they have to micromanage and can be a little more selective of who they bring on board maybe?

I looked at the contract as job security. I could have went with the likes of say TMC, Maverick, Melton, Decker etc. But I did a lot of research and got on with the company I wanted from the get go.

10. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    It's mostly an insurance issue, some companies will pay the higher premiums for someone with no experience if they think they are determined enough. I also got lucky back in 2005 with someone willing to give me a shot pulling decks. I've never touched a van before and never plan on it.

RDBG Thanks this.
  11. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

I work for a canadian mega. I'm not driving a automatic, nor am I micromanaged (beyond fuel stops.) Don't drive team and its my choice to be out weeks on end. If I wanted to be I could be home weekly.

I will agree that bison's 2 year contract is BS. I had a 6 month contract and I had my schooling and room and board paid so to me it seem a fair trade off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.