New gas hauler around here

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by badnewsdrew, Aug 30, 2015.

1. badnewsdrew

badnewsdrew Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello gentleman (and ladies)

I came to this forum looking up the goods and the bads of different companies that aren't in gas. I figured what the hell, why not say hello!

A little about me. I did my time on the road and have been pulling gas the last 5 years (Denver, now Phoenix). Got into it following the footsteps of my old man who's coming up on his 40th year hauling gas in Denver, I remember being in a Chevron truck a lot when I was a kid, and being babysat some nights by Amoco dispatchers lol . I'm sure some are wondering why I would want to leave gas when a lot of people would do a lot of things to get into it. I don't really have a good answer lol. I've spent almost all of my 20's either on the road or at a rack, common carriers are (in my opinion) driving the gas industry to ####. I guess I have the golden handcuffs situation going on. The time has come where I just don't care that much about the money anymore I care more about my time and my weekends, so I'm kicking around the idea of trying to find something that could lead me that direction. If it exist. BUT i'm not here to piss n moan, just wanted to say what up to my fellow drivers!

Anyhow thanks for the info and leads you all have unknowingly been giving me lol maybe I'll see you around! have a GOOD day!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Canned Spam Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

Definitely agree with you on the comon carriers

badnewsdrew Thanks this.
  4. badnewsdrew

Aug 30, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. badnewsdrew

Aug 30, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Some of the newer guys get pretty pumped when there is a new contract on the table. I on the other hand go right to "how many extra loads are they going to tell me I have to pull to make them money cuz they cut their own throat in a bidding war"..I guess I'm a pessimist lol

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I was raised the same way only with Richfield, Atlantic/Richfield, then ARCO. However I went into the Navy and when I retired from their I went right onto ARCO as a driver. I can remember standing on the sidewalk with my mom when a blue and gold Richfield truck would stop and pick me up. Sometimes it was my dad and other times it was just another driver that wanted to take me. Those trucks always smelled of gasoline and I would sit on the bench seat watching my dad or others drive the truck with 2 sticks. That's all they basically had in those days. It was a lot of fun and I did it for years. I learned how to drive from those drivers and got a casual driving job while I was in the navy. It was running out of Jacksonville FL. through 7 southern states hauling store items that you would buy in a 7/11 or C Store. We would drop off in a warehouse and a salesman would pick up his order the next day. I loved to drive and the respect the job carried back then. I retired from the Navy and had almost 6 years driving but never hauling gasoline. But I loved the gasoline companies and how they treated the drivers and went on to work for them and retired the second time. I wouldn't trade a minute.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.