New googlemaps sucks!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rollin coal, Apr 28, 2015.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    It's really not much of a plunge. Less than $100? The best GPS value out there IMO and has been since 2007 when I bought my version.

I didn't know it was avail on Amazon. That's good to know. Make sure it works with your O/S.

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Google has apparently reinstated the multiple stop route planning in the new version. It wasn't there when I tried it a year ago, but is now. It's just not as obvious (see what I did there? LOL) as it used to be. I read this help article and tried it. It seems to work ok. You have to enter the beginning and end before the plus sign appears in the lower left to add waypoints. After that, it seems to let me build a trip just like the old version.

That was really the only thing I disliked about the new version and they seem to have fixed it.

rollin coal and Cetane+ Thank this.
  4. Chewbongka

Chewbongka Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2015
    rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Slow. Freezes up my computer if I leave it on a window and go to sleep mode. Sometimes crashes. It might be time to throw away my computer in fairness though. I find street view impossible to use from my phone. I find many things about it just not as user friendly. I like the idea of MS maps that is also good offline except for the fact it might not be helpful in some areas with new roads and street view (does it have that?) would also have the same problem. Map quest doesn't show business names when you zoom in on the map to close in. I'll give bing a shot and see.

6. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It was googlemaps all along. The whole time. Really though there is nothing more frustrating than not having something that can route quickly without fuss.

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    ... Removed ...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  8. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    Just ask the broker what the mileage is and double whatever they tell you.

9. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    Depends on a few things. Yeah, age of the computer could be a factor. Since my business e-mail is hosted on gmail, I use their Chrome browser for the added convenience of it working flawlessly with Google's own apps. If you haven't already tried it, might be worth installing and trying it out.

I am a big fan of it syncing all my bookmarks and history across devices too. There's been a few times I wanted to look at something again that I viewed on my laptop, but only have my phone on me. I can find it in the history and get it right on the phone without having to remember the link or find it some other way.

not4hire Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
  11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Looks like that link now takes you directly to the new googlemaps, they killed it, so it's the new version or nothing now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.