New grad considering 2 different Schneider dedicated accounts

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Pilchuck, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Pilchuck

Pilchuck Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Western WA.
    As a new grad, I have gotten to the point of having to decide between two different Schneider dedicated accounts. Both of the routes originate in the same metro area about 200 miles away from my home. Both are similar in that they are home weekly.

The accounts are Dollar Tree and Anheuser-Busch . The details are:
    Dollar Tree- 1600-1800 miles/week .31 cpm + .02 quarterly bonus. $95 per full trailer unload, with 3-4 unloads/per week. and $25 extra stop pay (after 1st 2 stops) estimated 5 per week or $125 So weekly pay in the $950 to 1050 range. There is also a sign on bonus on this route. However dealing with difficult store employees, and difficult backing situations makes this less than an obvious choice.

Anheuser-Busch: apx 1900 miles/wk .40 cpm +.02 quarterly bonus. so pay in the 760 range per week. This route also has lots of midnight to 4am starts, which is fine for making miles but being shifted on sleeping on the 2 off days could be a problem. And sleeping during the day can be tough at times.

There is lots of info on the Dollar Tree account on this site, very little on the AB route. I am torn because I see the positives in both. As well as some negatives. I am very large and active, and the physical nature of the DT route actually appeals to me.The no unloading aspect of the beer run could lead to getting fat:)
    So, more money, better hours, and harder work vs less work, less money, and odd hours.
    I guess I'm looking for advice by someone who has some knowledge of the beer run. and SNI Dedicated runs in general. Is the bonus attainable? Is it predicated upon ETA's being met, speed overages etc.? Is there lots of wasted times on one or both of these runs? Does one have to meet strict drop off times for the dollar trees? So if one store goes long, will it mess up the next 2?

Is chasing for an empty trailer a issue with AB? Long waits at docks for live unloads, or drop and hook?
    Do my pay estimates reflect reality?

Any other issues that I need to investigate or to think about to make an informed decision will be appreciated.

BTW, I originally posted this in questions from new drivers and it was suggested I post it here. I am not sure how to delete the other one.

Grijon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I'd go with AB, even knowing very little about it. I see fewer postings for it which is an indication of lower turnover and higher driver satisfaction.

I know two guys who have run DT for a long time and are happy. They make the same money I do, and spend roughly the same amount of time at home as I do, but work much harder.

Beer places tend to be pretty decent in getting you in and out when delivering, and usually aren't too bad space wise.

Just in terms of protecting myself and my CDL I would go system or AB

ExOTR, 91B20H8, Grijon and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I'd go with AB for two reasons.......
    #1. You're a new grad. Have you ever been to a Dollar Tree store? Go to the one neatest you and ask yourself how you would get a big truck in and out.
    #2. I delivered beer for both AB and Miller and it's easy peasey........no drama, no BS. Just back up to the dock and they unload you. The other thing is 99% of theses distributors have nice, well built, truck friendly facilities. The only thing is, you tend to run pretty hard (but, hey, it's how you get paid, right??). Typically, I'd leave out Sunday night so I could be staged to unload first thing Monday morning, then haul tail back to the brewery to get another load and then haul tail towards my Tuesday delivery. Do this every day Monday thru Friday, roll on your 10 every day, and usually home Friday afternoon by around 3.
    Oh, at least with Miller, there was no chasing empties or trying to get a back haul......you delivered and then deadhead back to the brewery with your mty trailer.

I'd go with AB.......good luck

5. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    ask schneider if you deliver to these small dollar tree stores where big trucks shouldnt be anyway,and you have to cut across grass and tear it up or leave a mark and then someone reports it as property damage if it will be a preventable accident on your record. let me know their answer if you do.

Pilchuck Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Take the #### AB with both hands.

Go to any dollar tree or dollar store and ask if you want to wrestle a rig into and out of that lot and possibly dealing with a batch of mockingjays running about the area.

I used to haul alumimum into AB from KY into Williamsburg every morning Several times a week across the smokies. BEST steady work if there was one. Three coils up, gone and rolling in less than a hour. Just be careful not to rub the AB Staff Lady with clipboard the wrong way. Say good morning and be nice, don't speed.

Sleep? You will figure it out as you go. You have to. Unless you wish to deal with the crappy Dollar Store again.

Pilchuck and freightwipper Thank this.
  7. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    The dollar tree BS aint worth the cheap pay.
    Having to be dealing with people, little stores, unloading yourself, going through little towns everyday and small docks hoping you dont hit anything.
    All for .31? lmao no way!

That's .31 going through towns, cities, multistop etc meaning slower driving making that .31 sound even worse.
    Okay you get paid to unload a trailer that takes hours of your time, you could be driving in that time instead earning the same.
    Not worth it, nope.
    .45 and $150 per unload sounds more fair to me to be dealing with all that crap.

Just read this, who the fruit would want this job

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  8. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I'm fixing to start SNI doing AB dedicated. Think for a rookie this is a good choice? I am familiar with the roads and some night driving is required but a bit worried about safety. Hopefully it's good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.