New guy could use some advise

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BighornJoe, Aug 26, 2016.

1. BighornJoe

BighornJoe Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hello Everybody, long story short I was looking at getting into the Hotshot business but because of the market right now and all the unexpected costs I am changing up the game plan. I was in contact with a guy who said he could help me get everything done and on the road quickly. But as it turns out he didn't know as much as he said he did so this process has dragged out for months. So this time around I am trying to be more knowledgeable so I am not relying on someone else to tell me how to start a business. At this point I have canned the idea of a 1 ton pickup for many reasons. At this point my business partner and myself have decided to run a 53' flatbed. So here is what I could use some advise on:

What are some good insurance companies?
    What kind of used truck?(I am leaning toward a 2007 Volvo 780)
    What engine/trans should I be looking for?(Starting out I would prefer an auto)
    Besides MC, DOT and IRP what else do I need?
    Whats a good trailer manufacturer?
    Any other advise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highrisk21

Highrisk21 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I'm partial to Freightliner so I would go with them mainly because they seem to be the cheapest to maintain .but ultimately it's what is under the hood and chassis you need to be worried about.
    If possible do a oil sample on the truck u wanna get.

Insurance check out OOIDA

it's probably a good idea to have atleast 10k in the bank before the truck is rolling and keep it that way!

I would start a LLC to protect yourself

I'm also a fan of wabash duraplate dry vans but I don't know if they make flat beds. I'm sure

There's a huge list but I'll let some other drivers chime in and some you will just have to learn the old fashioned way by trail and error.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    BighornJoe Thanks this.
  4. MonticelloJeff

MonticelloJeff Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Good luck. I am leased to a company, so they handle my base plate, cargo insurance, fuel tax reports, and I run under their DOT and MC #'s, so I do not have to have those myself. I use OOIDA for my insurance, and for a trailer, before you buy one, you must know what your going to haul? I do mostly steel and coils, so I have a 48', my buddy runs lots of over length loads so he went with a 53', and do u want composite or aluminium trl? I went with composite , because my loads usually run 46K, my buddy went with aluminum because of the extra weight of a 53' and his loads are usually 48k. As for a truck. Make sure u know it's a work truck not a show truck, in other words go with the one you know will go from point A to B and back again. 10spd Allison is a tough transmission to kill. Detroit is a very popular motor and dependable, but any one can work on a cummins. But do agree with the other post , an LLC is a good idea.

BighornJoe Thanks this.
  5. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    LLC really doesn't offer much protection if you're the owner and the driver.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Highrisk21

Highrisk21 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I wouldn't say "doesn't offer much" giving yourself extra liability protection in the form of an LLC I personally carry 2 liability policies for my LLC primary and general. Any insurance is BS .. Until you need it. This is a sue happy world, any extra protection you can give your self for that minimal amount of money is worth it in my book. But that's just my opinion.

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Don't forget IFTA, UCR, and IRS 2290.

9. BighornJoe

BighornJoe Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks Guys, As of now I already have an INC. and my own authority. I had progressive for my Ram 3500 and trailer but I want to get some more quotes. What trucks are you guys running? Should I try to stay with pre DPF trucks? I am trying to do as much research as I possibly can and everything is still pointing to a volvo with a Cummins ISX. I am definitely not looking for a show truck in anyway shape or form but I would like something that isn't totally ragged out. Also I am a big guy and I plan on bringing my big dog so space is a premium. I will be driving by myself 99% of the time so I really don't need two beds and the Volvo workspace configuration is extremely appealing. Do you guys know any other models that do something more usable for the bottom bunk? The only other one I know of is the KW W900 with the futon but I really don't want to spend that much money on my first truck until I know this business plan is working and profitable. As far as what I plan on hauling I have a customer that want me to haul steel beams at approx 40k loads( I am still waiting to hear back about lengths). In the down time with him I wanted to get hooked up with a dispatcher or broker. I also have a few other plans but like hearing from people that know what they are talking about and not just what looks good on paper or in my head.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.