New guy with a Peterbilt smartnav question

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Guy7911, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Guy7911

Guy7911 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Hi, first time poster here. I hope someone can help me. I'm trying to hook up a backup camera to my Peterbilt smartnav. I purchased the Pan Pacific camera and required harness from Peterbilt but can't figure out where to plug in the two wired connections. I spent half a day with my dash apart and couldn't find any place to connect to. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and pay the Peterbilt service dept. to hook it up. Turns out not only did they not have a clue what I was talking about. They didn't know the backup camera was an option. So I told them they should try checking out there own website sometime. So I'm hoping someone has done this and can help me out.
    Thanks

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tens

Tens Bobtail Member

May 16, 2015
    Hi, I'd love to hear if you made any progress! I've searched hi n lo on the web for info on how to connect cameras on these systems, and there's nothing out there. Is no one using them? Our application is refuse, and they're an indispensable part of the equipment on our trucks. We bought NavPlus so we wouldn't have to add a separate backup camera system.
    I just finished wiring up the camera in our new T880 today. Got all the harnesses, etc, that Pana Pacific & our KW dealer said we needed. They provided me a decent set of instructions with pictures, etc, to plug (most) everything in. But alas, no mention made of one connector that hangs out there with a tag that says Camera Switch Power. And no, it doesn't come on. I've ohm'ed the wires, and think I know which is ground, but I'm leery about jumpering 12v into there without knowing for sure it's what it needs, for fear of burning some component up.
    If you want my instructions, let me know an email & I'll gladly share the Power Point Pres they have put together. I'd like to know what you've learned by now.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Guy7911

Guy7911 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Yes I did finally figure it out on my Peterbilt. The camera switch power had two flat prongs plunged into a power switch panel behind the A dash panel on my 389 Pete

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Guy7911

Guy7911 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2015
    And I had to add a 5amp fuse to the fuse box behind a panel behind the clutch pedal. There is a diagram on the fuse box door so you can tell where to put the fuse so it will match up with where you plugged the camera switch power wire into. Hopefully KW's or similar since Paccar builds both trucks. Hope this was helpful. PS. The "A" dash panel is where the speedometer & tachometer is. If this doesn't help you try calling Pan Pacific for tech help. That's what I did.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Tens

Tens Bobtail Member

May 16, 2015
    Thanks a lot! I'll be trying that early tomorrow. I figured since it was a Paccar harness there likely was a place to just plug the power switch connector in somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the dash there where the display & control head are. I'll dig behind the speedo & seed if I find it, then let you know.
    Really appreciate your quick response!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Frank Duh Tank

Frank Duh Tank Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2016

8. Frank Duh Tank

Frank Duh Tank Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2016
  9. Kw23eas

Kw23eas Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Can you put up picture of how that connector looks like ive gone crazy looking for it in my kw

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.