New Landstar Agent

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Agent Marc, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Agent Marc

Agent Marc Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Hello drivers,

I jumped out of my truck and switched to the Dark Side. I became a Landstar Agent two months ago, and have moved 29 trucks so far.

What should I know that most agents don't?

What do agents do that they shouldn't?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dewey120

Dewey120 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Well I am new to Landstar but being honest is one thing that makes a difference to me. My first load was supposed to be just one drop but when I picked it up it was two plus it was a driver assist off-load at both drops. So I will never deal with that agent again.

truckfam Thanks this.
  4. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Curious, are you booking loads from shippers, or double brokering?

UTI TRANSPORT and dogcatcher Thank this.
  5. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    Agents that book platform loads and OD loads that dont have a clue on how to bid them!

6. joem61

joem61 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Agents dont need to know how to price od loads. Ls has a department to price it for them.

7. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I'm going to be watching this, I'm not affiliated with LS but I still like to know what makes drivers not so happy, as a driver myself just talking to an agent or broker or dispatcher makes me mad, I hope to change all of this as soon as possible, I have some investments that I made when I sold my business in Sept. 2003 that are coming to maturity and I want to buy an existing business where the old guy wants to retire, I can jump in add some sales and build it bigger. We will see.

8. dogcatcher

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    yea i know of this fable place you speak of! sometimes i wonder about them as well!

truckfam Thanks this.
  9. dogcatcher

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    thanks Marc got your email will call you tomorrow

10. Agent Marc

Mar 10, 2013
    Both. Us new agents of course don't have direct customers of our own, so we double broker when we can, and try to work with directs as they come up. Every now and then the doubles end up paying decent money to the truck and it makes sense. I won't post crap that is too insulting. But, at the end of the day, double brokering keeps me alive while I build my directs and contacts.

jldilley and truckfam Thank this.
  11. Agent Marc

Mar 10, 2013
    We do price loads, but the shipper has more input than we do. If the shipper wants to spend $3500 to move product to California from Birmingham, I have to explain fuel costs, maintenance, deadhead miles, time etc, to them. They think we are snake oil salesmen trying to milk them dry. So after an hour of back and forth, I get them to $6000. They think they have nearly doubled their price and I should be able to find a driver in 20 minutes. The drivers are irritated that we post cheap freight. I'll be glad when I get a full rolodex of direct customers and reliable drivers. I hate selling garbage loads as much as you gentlemen hate taking them. That's why I'm on here at 8:00 on a Monday night, when I got here at 7:00 this morning.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.