new MC number and brokers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by freightwipper, Jan 18, 2017.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    When a new O/O gets started running their own authority how willing are brokers/shippers to work with a noobie mc number?
    Is it tough to get loads when first starting out?

angelsaldivar5 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Some have restrictions as in you must have mc authority for a year or some 6 months.

4. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I've had mine for about 7 years.when I started I only ran across 1 company that said I needed to be running 6 months before they would load me , that was crst and I've never used them since.never was a problem working with brokers.

Rightlane76, mwhjr1988, Coffey and 5 others Thank this.
  5. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Los of smaller brokers don't care. You've got to start somewhere

Coffey, snowman_w900 and redoctober83 Thank this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Most shippers in that realm also.
    Got a truck n the right wagon? Got insurance? That's all of them really ask aside from $

86scotty, Coffey, SAR and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Tombstone

Tombstone Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Most of the brokers won't give you a hard time as long as you have insurance. Schneider, JB Hunt requires 6 months, US Express and some others between 3 and 6 months. Coyote 1 month, CH Robinson and Landstar you can set up right away. However most of the time you would not use these guys unless they have some good deals occasionally. Even if you find a broker that requires time more than you have, just move on to the next one. Its not a big deal.

8. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    They will give you a chance!

For sure more and different phone calls after you hit that one year mark though...

9. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    How is LS treating you?

10. Tombstone

Tombstone Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I left Landstar at the end of November. I stayed 13 months over there and mostly I did dedicated for walmart. It was a good experience but I wanted to become an independent eventually. So landstar was the final step before taking this action. Now I'm working under my authority.

11. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Getting loads and finding brokers was pretty easy. Being part of nastc and having the last of brokers they give you when you sign up was very helpful as well. That's where I found my first loads and made some good relationships with brokers. The best suggestion is find a good couple to work with until your authority his the 6 months mark. I've noticed a huge increase in brokers reaching out to me once my authority was 6 months old.

Had a broker call me just before Christmas and asked me how much I wanted to run a 760 mile load of 15k lbs of furniture that I would have to sit on for 7 days before I could deliver it. Gave him an off the wall price of $9,000. He asked when I could be there to pick it up. I couldn't make the pickup, I was on the other side of the country under a load.

Makes me wish I had another driver when those loads come up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.