NEW O/O WITH A 06 PETE CAT C15

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by PETERBILT SIMBA, Oct 7, 2016.

1. PETERBILT SIMBA

PETERBILT SIMBA Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2016
    HELLO FELLOW SENIORS, I AM NEW TO THE OWNER OPERATOR WORLD, BUT HAVE BEEN DRIVING FOR JUST UNDER 6 YEARS. TRUCKING HAS BEEN IN MY BLOOD AND PETERBILT WAS ALWAYS MY DREAM TRUCK BUT DUE TO THE NEW EMISSION CRAP AND HEARING ABOUT HOW MUCH ISSUES THEY CAUSE IN THE NEW PETERBILT WITH CUMMINS IN IT I WENT AROUND AND BOUGHT A 2006 PETERBILT WITH A CAT C15 TWIN TURBO THAT WAS JUST REBUILD TOP END AND BOTTOM END EXCEPT THE TURBOS, I WANT TO KNOW THE PRO'S AND CON'S OF THIS MOTOR AND NORMAL BOOST OPERATION? I GENERALLY GET 40 PSI BUT DUE TO THE COLD WEATHER HERE IN EDMONTON CANADA, I HAVE SEEN A SPIKE IN THE BOOST GOES UPTO 45-47PSI, PLEASE ADVISE. THANK YOU

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Why are you yelling ? All CAPITAL expresses yelling. Can you tone it down a little please!!!!! Btw. WELCOME TO THE FORUM........couldn't help myself

PETERBILT SIMBA Thanks this.
  4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Living in Edmonton area ask around they have a few great shops who can make that cat purr..

maggard359 Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Cold air is thicker then warm air.

Altitude makes a difference also.

6. PETERBILT SIMBA

Oct 7, 2016
    Anyone any other suggestions? I am trying to gain as much info possible on this motor

7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    My opinion that's pretty low boost. But probably the norm for a strictly stock engine. Check for a cac leak and any leak around the rubber boots and turbo connections. What serial # is the engine? Mxs or nxs is what it will start with. The vav housings are the weak point on those engines. Make sure it has updated studs.

8. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    For the most part they are good engines. You need to have the ecm tuned by a private tuner and we won't talk about that due to the rules here on emissions. The fuel mileage will vary between 3.5 and 5.5 depends on what you hauling. Tuned will pick it up at least 1-1 1/2 mpg. Acerts have known actuators problems, broken studs, cracked jake housing, wiring harness issues just to name the most common. 40 psi on a twin is not enough in my eyes, my single turbo cat is doing 42. You could have a boost leak, boost sensor problem, or low fuel pressure or injector issue.

9. PETERBILT SIMBA

Oct 7, 2016
    Well whats the normal boost on this engine? Cuz she does want to go till 50psi but i keep it around 40psi to be safe as i was told by a cat mechanic. She is full stock with a 550hp file in it. I do avrg between 2-2.5km/litre pulling 60000lbs triaxles

10. PETERBILT SIMBA

Oct 7, 2016
    Its a MXS
    aa

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.