New oil and it is black already.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Big John, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    you can put automatic trans fluid in your fuel that is red. it wont be illegal but as you know it will turn fuel red. as long as it doesn't test for red dye. but be ready to do some explaining of why its red.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I understand and fully agree. I would just be inclined to avoid the hassle entirely, especially for an OTR driver that might get their fuel dipped a long way from home ( which seemed to be the only time it ever happened to me)

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I ask the "FEDS" one day that I got pulled in for inspection about ATF in the fuel, He look at me and said "I DIDN'T HEAR THAT !!!!" In other word's It's a NO, NO to use it in the fuel. So be WARNED !!! I've done it in the pass but don't do it anymore. I use Lucas Fuel Stabilizer if I need to, or 2 Stroke oil.

Injun Thanks this.
  5. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn

Your operation requires a more rigid service where as mine is all highway with less severe conditions...

BTW, engine and oil makers rate by running hrs, not mileage.
    I utilize a APU along with a Amsoil by-pass filter, there for I change my oil around 18-20K because it is equivalent to someone that idles and does a service around 12-15K.

Cummin's has told me that I was wasting my time and money by changing it at 18K, but I figure its still cheaper then an overhaul.

6. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I just checked my oil. it has 1950 miles on it. it is NOT black, yet. you can see thru slightly & read the add on the stick. not transparent, but somewhat transparent.

7. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA

Of course, you are assuming that keeping the oil in longer does more damage and you will need an overhaul sooner. Sounds logical, but not scientific. What if a lab sample showed you still had over 6 TBN, viscosity was still in grade, Soot level was still below 1, no fuel dilution, no water dilution, etc at 25,000 miles?

No dog in that hunt. If you feel better changing at 5000, 10000, 18000 miles or whatever, that's ok. After all, it is your money and not mine. Everyone does have a comfort level, though most of our comfort levels are not empirically justified. I prefer 25,000 miles. Oil samples say that is not required yet. I could go much longer. It is the interval recommended by Cummins for my '06 ISX, so I guess that plays into my comfort level. I have 770,000 miles on the engine and the oil samples show the wear rates are normal for a 300,000 mile engine. Just had the overhead run and top end looks great. That is on 25,000 mile oil changes. Took a '96 N-14 to 1.4 million without any issues on 30,000 mile oil changes. Still got 7 mpg average and only used a gallon of oil every 10,000 miles.

But there is something to be said for using some of modern technology to one's advantage to enable them to get the most out of each dollar. Basing oil drains on real world data and not "old school" feeling does have a positive effect over time on the bank account.

It is hard to support with fact a comment like frequent oil changes means less risk of engine failures. I suppose if one then changes their oil every week, the engine would last 2 million miles before any mechanical issues. Anyone believe that one?

Cummins was wrong to say you were wasting your time and stupid for changing your oil earlier than what they recommend, on that I will agree. Even though their name is on the engine, you own it. But, their contention is correct that you could go longer with no negative effect on your engine and it would save you time and money.

Big John Thanks this.
  8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Since I placed a block in the EGR tube going to the intake on my '06 ISX roughly 400,000 miles ago, my oil stays transparent, honey looking for almost 10,000 miles before it starts to show darkening. It finally starts getting that characteristic soot black look just before my normal oil change intervals of 25,000 miles. Yet oil samples show soot level still below 1.

9. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I had somebody try and tell me the other day that when there was still sulfer in the fuel it would "coat" the inside of your fuel tanks and by adding ATF it will take this coating off the inside of your tanks and plug fuel filters FAST, anybody else heard this????

I just dump a qaurt of the cheapest 5-30 in the tanks everytime I fill up and run a gallon of lucas fuel stabilizer once a month.

10. Bob's Buzz

Bob's Buzz Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Georgetwn, Calif.
    Use 3 qts marvel mstry oil 2500 miles before your oil service date. It removes acids and carbon. when I do my oil is CLEAN on dipstick for first 1000 miles!! Series 60 with 500000 miles on it.

11. ptours93

ptours93 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2011
    orland park il
    i'd suggest you do some homework on this and when you find out what i posted is true well, post facts first.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.