New Owner-Operator Questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by partiznka, Jun 30, 2015.

1. partiznka

partiznka Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Greetings to all of the established and successful owner-operators out there!
    I am new to this forum, as well as fairly new to the trucking industry! I'll be taking over a previous owner-operator's business with FedEx Ground and would appreciate any advice! Some questions that I have for all of you successful and growing owner-operators out there:

1. What do you do to recruit quality drivers?
    2. What steps do you take to strategically and successfully expand your business from 5 to 30 trucks? Drivers must have at least 1 year of experience and a clean record from the last 3 years. I would like to go about this ethically and steal other owner-operators' drivers, but am struggling finding drivers online that meet that criteria for local or linehaul runs.
    3. What do I need to know about the relationship between owner-operators and a company like FedEx Ground? What politics are existent?
    4. What are some of the things you may do to keep great drivers engaged and from going to other owner-operators?

Any help/advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you all in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Pay them well and give them good equipment. Don't dink them around about stupid minor issues. Listen to them. They often have friends who also drive. Over time, figure out how each driver likes to run and get him in a groove that works for the both of you. Some like dedicated 5 days a week then home for 2, others want to run long stuff home less often, some want to run wild all over the place.

4. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Like gokiddogo said, treat them good, and everything else that was said. Don't try and grow to fast, it is better to grow at a level you can manage with good equipment, and good drivers. Don't be afraid to let a driver go if they are not meeting your expectations, or your customers as well. It is cheaper to park a truck than have a driver screw it up. Good drivers remain loyal to those that are loyal to them. Bad drivers jump from company to company on a regular basis. I have seen guys that have driven for twenty different companies in 10 - 12 years. Now when I am interviewing, I won't even entertain the thought of hiring one on that has not at least given his current employer one year. I am banking on a least wise getting one year out of them, trust me this is very accurate. The longer a guy has been with a company the more apt he is to stay, don't waste your time trying to convince somebody that has been with a company 4 years or longer to join you. The only time they come is when their boss just screwed them out of home time, or pay. You may get lucky from time to time there but often times they, like most truckers are just griping to be griping. Stay away from those that all they have is negative things to say about their previous employer, just remember that will be you one of these days.

That makes it really had for you as an owner operator to find a good quality hand. They are rare, I am used to replacing guys on the average one a year. Started with four trucks got up to seven and am now back to three. The drivers make all the difference in the world.

Good Luck

partiznka Thanks this.
  5. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    One more thing only hire drivers that you like. Sounds trivial but, if you don't like them they won't like you. You are not a big corporation and contrary to what people say you can hire people based upon whether you like them or not, as long as it is not for discriminatory reasons. Sometimes personalities just don't click, and they never will. I tried to hire drivers that I did not like, but they were qualified. Each time it was the most miserable three months for the two of us.

Hope that helps

partiznka Thanks this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    That's what usually happens with my girlfriends

aram putrus, Starboyjim and partiznka Thank this.
  7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    You say you plan to do this ethically then in the next breath you say you plan on stealing other o/o drivers?

Last I checked stealing is not ethical.

InIt2Win and Oldman49 Thank this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It was probably a typo. God knows I have enough of them.

Op, the first thing you should do is look at the contract with fed ex. If they are paying you under two bucks a mile, I'd be taking my trucks to a different company. Better revenue means you can pay drivers more. And it's a while lit easier to get and keep the better drivers when you pay them well.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    partiznka Thanks this.
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    No matter what business your in remember this.... A happy worker is a good worker.

10. partiznka

partiznka Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2015
    I appreciate the detailed response! The characteristics you just mentioned of drivers you would not hire is almost entirely what I've come across and haven't hired. At a certain point, I think I started to doubt myself and that maybe I was being too picky. When you do find quality drivers, do you find that you mostly find them online, through paper advertising, or work of mouth?

powerhousescott Thanks this.
  11. partiznka

partiznka Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Yes, it was definitely a typo...just left out the "not!" I have never stolen a driver from someone and would never do so, which is why I am trying to make sure that I am taking all of the correct steps as I go about finding my own.

FedEx does pay over $2 a mile, but the local runs is where I find it most challenging to offer competitive pay per hour. Several drivers that I have interviewed that were used to driving linehaul and now want to come local, were unhappy with the potential decrease this would mean for their weekly paycheck...

KenworthGuyNH Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.