new ScangaugeD for big trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Marmon man, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I got the D model and have no problems. I think they might be the same as it reads codes and everything. Also stated on their website, the D model is for class 8 semi's
    Quite happy with mine so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    I have the 2 for my 6 liter. Works fantastic. had to download some parameter settings ( tell it what to look for ) but sure saved the bucks. Ford wants $110hr to throw parts at it and scan gauge took me right too the problem.

I'll get the D for the next semi too.

JMO

4. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    The only difference in Scangauge D and Scangauge KR is the update rate and the letters "KR" on the name. Factory default for the update rate is set at normal. KR is set at fast. You're paying extra for the name and a simple setting adjustment.

5. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    How much extra do you think one pays for the KR?

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    KR is designed and programmed for heavy duty. semi's.

D is designed and programmed for light to medium duty. pickup and rv's.

it cost $25 to have the D programmed to KR.

i ran the D for 3 months in my semi. and it came with a pricetag of $7,ooo before i quit using it.

7. Steel Tiger

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    From what I understand, the KR is $199. You can buy the D at Camping World for $152, so $47 savings. Not sure if you pay shipping and handling with the KR, so it may be more.

8. Steel Tiger

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    They are the same thing! There is no programming a D to a KR. The D has all the features the KR has, minus the KR logo.

The programming you're referring to is the adjustment that is made in the set-up. The D is factory set to update at normal rate. The KR is set-up to update at fast rate. It may even have the 4 gauges preset to what he recommends, I'm not sure. It takes literally 5 second and 6 pushes of a button to change the update rate.

I can't understand why people think the KR is so special. They are IDENTICAL units. They read the ECM data. They have IDENTICAL features. They do the same thing. KR logo is the only difference.

As far as messing up your truck, that's impossible. All it does is read data. That's like saying your speedometer or fuel gauge messed up your truck. It doesn't change your ECM, other than have the ability to clear codes. If you do that and ignore the codes, then yes you will have problems.

9. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I have to agree with steel tiger. I have the d and have ran with it for almost a year. Very happy with it.

Steel Tiger Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    well, i guess since you drove the truck during the time it was plugged in. you would know.

3 months without a hitch. 6 weeks and moola repairs. end of story. 6 more months without a hitch.

there was also a hiccup that literally shut down the ecm. engine, dashlights and gauge ALL quit for a second. then came back to life.

my brother in law has had it the last 9 months. plugged into his dodge pickup.

i looked at the websight. RV is all over it. nothing implied towards class 8 semis.

sorry about your impossibility. but you didn't spend 8g in computer and emission repairs while it was plugged in. I DID.

could it be a technical glitch. or time for parts to go out. who knows. all i can say is 3 months and never saw the shop. 6 weeks i couldn't keep it out of the shop. 6 months and never saw the shop. to coincidental that it only happend while it was plugged in. specially the complete shut downs that miraculously appeared after it was plugged in and stopped after i got rid of it.

you all can cry lies all you want. peterbilt has the repair history.

11. Steel Tiger

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    If you blame the Scangauge for the damage to your truck, then they should have paid for it. It does have a warranty. Your misfortunes are just that, nothing to do with Scanguage.

This is a direct paste from the Scangauge manual:

User Manual
    Plugs into the J1939 or J1708 diagnostic connector already built into most 1987 or Newer Diesel Pusher Motor Homes, RV’s and Large Diesel Over-The-Road Trucks
    Version 1.0

Please not the bold print. The following is a direct copy and paste from their website on the MAIN PAGE:

ScanGaugeD works with J1939 & J1708 Protocol
    Perfect for Diesel pusher RV’s and over the road, long-haul trucks.

So, I fail to see the validity of your comment. You, my friend, just happened to have bad luck with your truck and are trying to use the Scangauge as a scapegoat.

I have been using the Scangauge D for over a year and haven't had a single issue. Nor has anyone else that I know that uses it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.