New Student Contract

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Chucktaylor, May 19, 2016.

1. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    There are new contracts going forward for PSD students signing on to get their CDL thru Prime.

Still a year of employment required. Cost of school has increased and if they quit after 6 months, the "pay half the tuition" is no longer valid. You will be required to work for Prime for one year and the tuition debt is forgiven. Quit under a year and you will be required to pay back the entire amount.

Also, students will be now be signing a non-compete clause. If you quit before the year obligation is up, you will not be allowed to work for another trucking competitor for 2 years and Prime will attempt to recoup any training costs from any carrier that agrees to hire you. Pretty much this will discourage anyone from hiring you. This is only if you quit before your year obligation is up.

This is not something Prime came up with itself, but in response to other carriers like CR England, KLLM and several others that have issued cease and desist letters in response to hiring individuals who have left those carriers after they had signed training contracts with non compete clauses. Apparently there have been several threats of lawsuits by these carriers against Prime to discourage hiring of these former trainees and possibly re-coup the costs of training these drivers.

darthanubis, skellr, PChase and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    That non-compete clause is a joke. Any reputable company will place a cease-and-desist letter into the circular file and proceed.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I think all the companies are going to get tough with their company cdl programs now that the freight has slowed down.

I bet they don't collect 70 percent that they bill to students.

Student bails out loses everything , next step is declare bankruptcy.

darthanubis and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  5. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    The "non-compete clause" will not stand up to a legal challenge, it's to broad ... it must be reasonable in scope, geography, and time. Prime (or any company) may attempt to "garnish" your wages (by obtaining a court order) for debts you may owe them, but a new employer would not have assumed liability for your debt.
    What it may do is make people more serious when they consider their commitment, which is a good thing.

darthanubis and bigred81 Thank this.
  6. 100 Percent

100 Percent Bobtail Member

May 17, 2016
    Yeah. I see most companies moving towards it now. They're getting tired of training people and they up and leave, go right to a competitor, without getting their monies worth. Plus, like @tommymonza said, they "could" make MORE money if they can collect that $4500 on top of what you've worked. Free money and free work for them.

7. 100 Percent

100 Percent Bobtail Member

May 17, 2016
    When does the 1yr commitment start? (Day 1 or when you get your actual CDL?)

8. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    That non compete clause is ########. I'd laugh my ### off at that and I guess that would be that lol.

It's crazy how much has changed with these starter companies in just three years time. Seems like there are a lot more hoops to jump thru. My experience with central refrigerated in 2013 was pretty straight forward.

unloader

9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    On the henderson thread there was a comment by one student that he is the only person employed by them out of 30 students.
    i think there is a lot of desperate people these days that were seeking trucking as a way to make more than 20 thousand a year , and not necessarily as a love for trucking.

Also discovered there was much more to it than just driving and it can be lonely out there.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  10. Mrgreen09

Mrgreen09 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Irvine,Ky
    Well this must be new because I'm on my 2nd week of psd and there is no competition anything.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CRST does the same, but drivers leave anyway and go right to work somewhere else.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.