New Tanker Driver Questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tnkrdrvr1979, Sep 1, 2015.

1. tnkrdrvr1979

tnkrdrvr1979 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Received an offer to begin work with Trimac as a regional tanker driver and have a few questions?
    I will most likely be driving southeast area only and will be out two to three weeks and home a couple days for every week out on a dedicated route.
    Was wondering how most of their trucks are equipped if they have inverters already installed and idling policy etc. I am new to this industry and realize I have a lot to learn but my previous career had me away from home more than this should so don't anticipate that being a problem. However, I previously lived in hotels many days a year but realize this will be a different deal. Are most trucks equipped with wifi or will it be my responsibility to use cell phone "hotspot" etc when parked at truck stops for rest periods. Should I anticipate delays between loads resulting in waiting around away from home and not getting paid? I am sure I will have many questions and begin their training program in a couple of weeks. From what I have read and heard, they appear to be a decent company and the managers I have spoken with seem to be ok to work with regarding scheduling etc. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Don't expect wi-fi in a truck. Major truckstop chains offer wi-fi for a price but better off using your phone. I don't run for Trimac but do run tank. Trimac is a good company and they should keep you going without sitting around.

tnkrdrvr1979 Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't know of any companies that have wifi but you can find it anywhere so that won't be a problem.Tanker is a whole new ballgame compared to reefer and van.You wont be sitting for hrs waiting to get loaded and unload.What kind of liquid will you be hauling op?

5. tnkrdrvr1979

Sep 1, 2015
    Well right now it was suggested that I could be on a dedicated route hauling isocynates. I am trying to find out as much as possible about that as well and anticipating training regarding that. The other option would be various chemicals and many different locations but primarily southeast region. Being a new driver, was thinking it may be a better idea to get comfortable on known routes rather than going in many directions.

6. Smooth_Operator

Smooth_Operator Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Congratulations. Tri mac is a good company and especially a great one to start at.

To be honest it will likely be rough being out for so long.

If it starts to get to you just remember most people have to go otr in the beginning and you got a pretty #### good company to start out with.

I personally like going to the same few places, guesse it depends on the person.

7. tnkrdrvr1979

Sep 1, 2015
    Thank you and it seems like I was pretty fortunate to get on there right out of school. I actually had to take two driver tests with different trainers before I was approved because it had been a few months since I completed the truck school. I am thankful they use automatic trucks as I don't really miss the 10 speed.
    I agree it will be a change from what I was used to. My routine from my previous position had me traveling to different states all over the US and Canada moving frequently from hotel to hotel for as much as a month at a time before being home. When I did get home however was off for a couple weeks usually and agree living in a truck will be a new experience. I actually prefer to be out a few weeks at a time because of the trucking definition of weekend off seems to be home late Friday and leaving again on Sunday.
    Everyone is different I suppose and I can see where that would be much better if had kids at home but do not. I was hoping that the 34 hour reset will not be a problem however on the schedule because would not be excited about sitting in a truck stop and unable to make money or be at home? Hopefully I will be back close enough home to make that happen during the two or three week period.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    pattyj Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    "ethos" works for Trimac. Good guy and very knowledgable about tankers. Put "ethos" in the search function, then contact him with the "conversation" feature on his profile.

9. tnkrdrvr1979

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks Chinatown. Just sent him a request as you suggested. I think he would be good contact for me at this point as I am sure I will have many questions and some of them may not be proper for me to post publicly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.