new to Detroit's, need some advice.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by granhawler, Jul 2, 2015.

1. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Looking at buying a used truck, possibly with a Detroit. All we've ever ran is cats so I don't know much about Detroit's. is a guy better off with a 12.7 or 14 litre? Are all 12.7's pre EGR & did they make any 14 litres without EGR? Looking at buying something in the 2000 to 2006 range.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    12.7's were made until 2007. They started EGR in 2002, but many pre-ordered trucks went well into 2003 without EGR. By 2004, all of them had it (as far as I know). If you're looking at a 2002-2003, you'll have to double check.

14L started in 2001, You'll need to find a 2001 to early 2002 to get a non-EGR 14L. They are out there, but pretty rare. I've never seen a 2003 14L that didn't come with EGR, but they may exist.

If you find an older truck, double check to make sure what engine it really is, they did make 11.1's up to 1998.

granhawler Thanks this.
  4. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    I own a 2007 14l 515hp version in a Columbia.
    I am happy with it. You will need to learn to run it and you will be fine.
    Drive it like the manual says.
    Stay withing the color range....

I ran it for 40k miles with stock egr setup and it would sputter if I dogged it going up hills. Anything below 1200rpm and it would hickup and if it was during winter using north Dakota diesel, it was even worse. Not much torque but plenty of top end.

I change my fuel filter every 6 months or 15k miles. I also change oil every 10k miles.
    I change my water filter every 20k miles.
    Air filter as it gets dirty...

Over all I am happy with my Detroit (knock on wood).
    I had to do a head gasket when I first got it (700k miles) and with that a radiator and water pump..
    but other then that no issues...(knock on wood). Gasket gave way and pumped compression in the water system. Pressurizing the radiator and water pump and all water lines.

The 2007 Detroit is known for having head gasket and head issues around 700k miles. But its not a bad fix. 2500 at a dealer and if you need a new reman head its about an extra 2,000$. But well worth it to have it done rather then a road side tow.....

EGR removal discussion deleted

No engine leaks...so far.
    Oil pan seeps a little but not much. I wipe it down with engine cleaner and keep the area spotless and keep an eye on it. When I put in new bearings in the bottom, I will have that pan resealed.

I have had an electrical gremlin, the engine fan would not turn off. There was a wire that got chaffed and shorted. Sending NO signal to the fan of temp. That in turn tells the motor something is wrong and that turns the fan on and keeps it on. That was a 300$ fix to overlay another wire. Been fine since knock on wood.

Its a cheap motor to rebuild. Around 16-20k for a inframe or rebuild, depending were you go and how deep you go..Vs a cat same year or cummins the same year is about 27k for a rebuild.

My final answer is that its a good motor, cheap to fix, parts are easy to find and its gets you down the road just fine with decent fuel mileage if you drive like a human and have decent tires with a good rear end set up...
    I had a cat for a long time, same year as detriot and 550hp. It was a beast with an 18spd but every time I went to the shop I was glad I didnt own it...Parts were crazy expensive .
    Example: my radiator was 700$ the cat was close to 1500 for a radiator....

I dont like to go to cali and am not interested in going there so to me I dont care about an egr

Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Reason for edit: No emission mod discussion, please
  5. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    I didnt realize it was not allowed to be talked about.
    My bad. I would of not posted that had I known

d o g Thanks this.
  6. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks for all the info. I want another Western Star & would like to find one with a cat but its easier to find one with a Detroit.

Our current truck has a Mercedes & I am done with it, scored #1 sleeve and piston & ate the cam too, wouldn't be that bad of a job if a guy didn't have to drop the drive line & pull the trans, clutch, flywheel & bell housing in order to pull the cam shaft out the back of the motor. Its only got 600,000 on it & after I got the pan off its pretty obvious somebody's had it apart before. Gonna overhaul it & kick it down the road. Never had a Detroit before but anythings gotta be better than this #### Mercedes with no power, no mileage & no reliability.

7. AZ123

AZ123 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I would try and find something pre egr I think 03 and back. We ran my 99 12.7 up to 1.4 million miles till an injector gave up and messed up cylinder so we went ahead and inframed while engine was open. The guts where all original parts and were in great shape ( bearings, cam, crank etc). The thing is super reliable and has decent power and good mpg. Detroit has been really good to us.

8. AZ123

AZ123 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I think the newer detroits dd15 and them are like the Mercedes engine in which you have to pull down drive line, trannie, clutch etc to pull cam out

9. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011
    Don't need one of them then.

Found an '05 Western Star 4900 long hood with a 14 litre that's had the EGR deleted & engine work so we'll see what happens.

10. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    That would work !
    Those 14L troits aren't too bad once all the crap is off them .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.